Saturday, May 26, 2007

First Visit at Fire Camp and Vegetarian Chili

There are six fire fighting crews and each of them gets a position on the fire roll. This is when a fire occurs and those crews at the top of the roll get to go out on a fire. Only three crews per day are assigned which changes daily based on the availability of the Fire Captain. I was technically off work for the day – Saturdays, Sundays and some holidays are visiting days. While in Jamestown, I received visits three times and each of these was a very special occasion. I didn’t think I would receive any visits, so they were very much appreciated. I do have many great friends within an hours drive of the fire camp and I do believe I will receive more than three visits in the nine months that I am here. I was hoping for a visit today but I still had the uncertainty hanging over my head as to whether or not the approval forms came down.

I went to a different CO who was duty and explained my dilemma to him about the visiting forms not being in my file. He took an extra step by calling the visiting room in Jamestown where they have access to a computer and gave the names of the three people who I thought might be visiting me and they all were approved and verified. I was relieved and all my angst from the conversation with the other CO had disappeared. It is truly amazing how everything continues to workout for the best. Sometimes a little persistence pays off!

I thanked the CO profusely and went back to my room where I waited for the visit. It was getting close to noontime and I thought my visitor would not be coming so I changed into workout clothes and did some running. About 20 minutes into my run, I heard my name announced over the PA system that I had a visitor. Thankfully, I wasn’t too sweaty or dirty. I quickly ran back to my room, freshened up, and changed into my Oranges. These have to be worn for all visits, work, eating, going to the office, and being on the telephone. I walked down to the visiting area where I quickly recognized my friend’s car parked in the lot across from the visiting area. I entered the visiting area and saw my dear friend sitting at a picnic table. We greeted each other with a handshake and a very warm smile. It was great to see my friend and the last time we were together, I was sitting behind a plated glass window dressed in orange and we were communicating via a telephone even though he was three feet away. These conditions were obviously much better as we sat and talked.

I met this very dear friend through the GA Program over 2 years ago and we have hit it off ever since. He has taught me the true meaning of the word friend and it was wonderful to see him. We talked for over an hour and got caught up on so many things. He was hoping to return next Sunday with a few other of our GA friends so we could have a meeting. I thought this was a wonderful idea and we asked the CO how many people can visit at one time. He replied, “ As many that can fit at a picnic table.” It appears 8 people can sit comfortably which means 7 of my GA friends can visit if they are available. I had a GREAT visit and being close enough so my friends can visit was well worth the wait!

At the end of the visit, I walked back to the office where the Lieutenant checked me back in. Unlike Jamestown, where I had to be stripped searched each time I returned from a visit, I did not even receive a cursory pat-down. I am being treated like an adult and I was on a “mental high” from the visit so I changed into my work out clothes to finish my run.

As I was running the cook saw me and said, “Stop running, you are thin enough!” He then went on to yell, “I made vegetarian chili just for you and you better eat a lot of it at dinner!” I was honored and certainly didn’t request this. His final comment to me as I ran past him was “Stick-man.”

My friend and I went into the dining hall and sure enough vegetarian chili was served. In fact, it was delicious – not as good as my wife’s, but still very tasty. Even my friend commented on how excellent it was. Interestingly enough, many of the other inmates seemed to approve of the chili and they had no idea it was made without meat. I guess one person can make a difference without even trying because here I was minding my own business and now the cook is preparing vegetarian items for everyone. This is good!