Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Job Well Done

It appears my maximum sleeping duration is 5 hours even when dead tired and sleeping on the ground. The facilities were spotless, the CO gave me a newspaper to read, breakfast was once again delicious, and we awaited for our Captain to receive our assignment. While we waited, my friend went to play cards, I spoke with a few crew members and the Captain, and read my book under a tree. We were ordered to get up and return to our fire Camp. Our job was done and according to the Captain, it was a job well done!

We boarded the bus where we received another grocery bag for our lunch. My goodness, I can see why guys put on weight when they get to fire camp because there is so much food. I had to get a large plastic bag to put all my food in. All I concentrate on is the fruit, granola bars, and peanuts but there were also packages of Crystal Light along with fruit drinks and Gatorade. I gave most of my food to my friend who in turn gave some of it away to the key inmates on the yard. As my friend says, “Keep the wheels greased.”

The bus departed the base camp and we were heading south on highway 99 for the 8 hour ride. We were about 45 minutes away from the camp when nature came calling (actually nature was calling during the entire ride but there was little I could do except wait until we returned to camp). I knew this had to happen and the contingency plan is a Gatorade bottle at the back of the bus. Well, the bus doesn’t have very good suspension so this was an adventure, but I made it through without any problems. Obviously, I felt a great deal better as we headed back to camp.

We were allowed to bring back all of our food to our lockers. Getting out all of the food was the longest part of unpacking. It was a 48 hour journey and I was paid $50.00 for the effort with 2 extra hours of downloading. This equates to a dollar an hour but it is actually 45 cents an hour since I have 55% taken out for restitution. I am fairly positive this is the hardest I have worked to make $22.50. Based on this, I would have to work 800,000 hours to pay off my restitution which would take 9 straight years utilizing every hour within the year. Wow! That’s a great deal of hiking. Anyhow, at least I can put a little money on the books and start to pay back some of what I owe.

Dinner which was very filling and wonderful was over and it was time to pick up my re-route mail from Jamestown. I had a few letters from my mother and some very dear friends. Also, the documents my wife sent for the family visit arrived yesterday. I put all of these documents together and went to speak with the CO in charge of the family visits. Apparently, I didn’t listen very well because the CO required original documents, not copies, even though she said, “I need copies of the original marriage certificate and birth certificates.” This is the same CO I had a hard time with last week. I don’t know how to talk to her because she comes across without listening to what I was saying. I did all I could do to retain my composure and I let her speak. Long story short – the copies my wife sent overnight air were unacceptable and I am no closer to having my family visit approved. I need original documents which are now in NJ. Please keep in mind my family visit has been already approved back in Jamestown, but now I have to go through process all over again. I retained control as the CO spoke to me and walked away from the window very perplexed and angry. I had telephone time but I had to calm down before calling my wife. I know this is a minor glitch in the road and everything will turn out all right. I will get through this and I will have my family visit.

I calmed down and called my wife. She will be sending out the originals to a friend or directly to me, she wasn’t sure. My wife decided to schedule her trip for July and not wait for the family visit date. This was a great decision because she has to start making plans as it is only 6 weeks away. I would settle for a visit on the weekend if the family visit situation is not resolved by July.

I then went to talk to my friend and we decided to become roommates. He wanted to get away from the front door and my roommate was leaving. We don’t believe this will jeopardize our friendship and we do think it is a good idea. My friend obtained the necessary paperwork and the move should take place tomorrow.

My apologies to my wonderful brother-in-law - Happy Belated Birthday!!!