Friday, May 04, 2007

Social Butterflies

On my way over to the telephone sign-up, I met up with an inmate who I have come to know over these past six months. The other day he asked me to do something for him and initially I had said no. However, I ended up doing what he requested because I felt badly for saying no. This inmate is a bit high maintenance and has asked me to do things for him from time to time. I have always acquiesced and helped him out. He caught me at a bad moment the other day when I had just learned I was not going to be transferred to fire camp this week. I did come to my senses and was able to help him out. Anyhow, he asked me yesterday why I initially turned him down on his request. I explained and apologized. There was more to my explanation but I kept those feelings to myself. I did want to tell him that the only time he talks to me is when he wants something or has to vent his frustrations but I didn’t. What I have noticed is many inmates, with the exception of my friend, are only concerned with themselves. I guess this is a product of their environment but some days it does get to me. I have become a “go to” person with a few inmates who are always unloading their problems or asking questions. I don’t mind this to a point but too much of this does wear on me. I am human and I do try to not let these things bother me but it does happen - thankfully, not that often.

After completing my workout, I made my way over to the telephones to call my wife. As she was explaining to me her very strange car registration story, our 15 minutes had ended. She got most of the way through this story, but from what she was telling me, it sounded very odd. Apparently, since my wife’s car is leased, the leasing company needed additional taxes because the car was being transferred to NJ from CA. I had never heard of this nor did my wife. The leasing company wants a fairly large sum of money so my wife is having someone check on this strange request. She has been dealing with this for a few months now and is no closer to a resolution. Life certainly goes on out in the free world especially for my wife as she juggles - taking care of the children, the mess I created, and finances or lack of. She is doing an amazing job and my love for her grows everyday and I look forward to the day when we can tackle these challenges together.

My wife is going to call the Captain again to see what my status is regarding fire camp. I doubt he will tell her anything different then he has told her in their 2 previous conversations. The conversation should go something like this, “Yes, Paul is ready to go and his file is in the drawer.” My hope is that the file will make its way out of the drawer and onto someone’s desk so I can be transferred. I have asked a great deal of my wife regarding my entire ordeal but especially in these last two months as I wait for the transfer. She has been wonderful and has gone above and beyond the call of duty. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

After showering, I returned to my bunk so I could read the letters I had just received. The letter from my dear friend was wonderful. The letters from my mother were equally as wonderful especially since she sent me pictures of my children. A few weeks ago both of them were in a parade for the opening of the softball and T-ball seasons. My daughter looked so adorable in her softball uniform as did my son in his uniform. My son’s T-ball uniform looked great because he is on the Cardinals and his jersey looked just like the Major League Cardinals.

My mom wrote in one of her letters that my children are “social butterflies”. I was very impressed with this story of how both my daughter and son visited my mother’s classroom. My children are not shy and were able to interact quite well with my mother’s students who are much older than my son and daughter. They had a great time and I am so happy my children have adjusted to their new situation. It is amazing because even though I will be separated from my children for over 1 ½ years they continue to grow physically and emotionally. Things are truly working out for the best and my children continue to be surrounded by love. I have so many things to be grateful for and I am a blessed person. To think my children have developed into “social butterflies” is absolutely incredible! Everything happens for a reason and these reasons are always positive! I felt great after reading these letters and looking at the pictures.