Sunday, May 27, 2007

Weekends Are Good

I woke up this morning about 6:30 not sure if I would be receiving a visit or not. I did have a feeling that two of my GA friends would be here to see me so I wanted to be presentable and ready for them. I shaved for the second day in a row and after writing three lines my name was called over the PA system because I had a visit.

I hurried out of my room and went to the office to sign-out and walked to the visiting area. I immediately noticed my two dear friends waving to me form one of the picnic tables. I waved back and noticed a great deal of food on the table. My friends came prepared to feed me as well as see me. We greeted each other with big hugs and it was wonderful to see them. These are the same friends who visited me in Jamestown at the end of December and they are very special people and dear friends. We all sat down and sure enough there was enough food to feed me for two weeks! My friend thought I could take the leftovers to my room but unfortunately, I am not allowed to do this. There were bagels, tortilla chips, sunflower seeds, trail mix, tuna fish, and diet soda along with very nice cracked honey wheat bread. My friends know my peculiar eating habits and came around with all my favorites.

Over the next five hours, we talked on a variety of topics and snacked. Normally I am a very structured eater but I wanted everything they brought yesterday. My friend had to drive to several places to find these wonderful bagels. She also made a delicious tuna salad without mayonnaise! I ate two sandwiches, drank three diet root beers, and much more. The atmosphere is so much better than their last visit at Jamestown – gone are the concrete prison walls, barbed wires, guns, and pepper spray. These have been replaced with big beautiful oak trees, canyons, swing sets, and a jungle gym. Everything is as good as it is going to get while incarcerated. I have waited 10 months to get to this point and the wait has been worth it especially on a wonderful day like today. We also talked about their return visit which will include an even more special meal. Once again I must give thanks to the GA Program for bringing these incredible people into my life. Today and yesterday were great days as I talked with my friends and felt their incredible love and support.

The weekends are very good here and now instead of dreading them as I first did when I arrived at Jamestown, I am looking forward to each and every weekend. The fantastic visit unfortunately came to an end and if it lasted any longer I would have probably gained 10 pounds! After we embraced and hugged, they walked off to their car and I had to stay behind while they drove off. My friend called out to me to show me his new car, but I am not allowed to do this. The Sergeant even remarked to them, “He needs to stay here until you drive off unless all of you want to be on the evening news.” This caused a big laugh among us!
I arrived back in camp very full. I was done eating for the day and there was no way I was going to dinner. I spoke with my friend who also had a visit from his mother and girlfriend who live very close to the camp. Even though I am not allowed to talk to other inmates in the visiting area, I was able to meet both of them. The conditions here are perfect for re-building relationships and I cannot wait for my wife and children to arrive. There is a saying in prison which I believe is very appropriate regarding visits – “IT IS ALL VERY GOOD!!” It certainly is all good and both my friend and I had big smiles on our faces after our special visits.