Friday, May 11, 2007

Theory and Reality

In keeping with the entry from yesterday, I will continue with the story regarding the old coach and my pending transfer to fire camp. This morning I was hoping to see the old coach as a follow-up to our conversation of yesterday. When I went out into the yard to start the PFT Class, I quickly checked his office but he wasn’t there. At the end of the class I even asked the new coach if I could go into the gym to see the old coach and he said, “Yes.” However, he still wasn’t in his office. As an aside, the new coach came out into the afternoon yard and stopped by me as I was exercising. As soon as he saw me he said, “Don’t you ever stop exercising?” and he laughed.

I said, “No, I can never get enough.” And laughed as well. He then asked me about my transfer to fire camp. I told him it’s taking me longer than I expected and he said if there is anything he could do to let me know and he would be more than happy to write a letter in my behalf. I thanked him and would let him know. Unfortunately, a letter will not help me get to fire camp faster. What I need is someone who knows how to work the system. The new coach has not been here long enough to know this and that is why I put my trust into the old coach.

This afternoon I went by the gym door to see if the old coach was in his office and thankfully his light was on in his office. Normally, I would be apprehensive to enter the gym for a number of reasons but not today. There are some CO’s who guard the gym door who do not allow the instructors entry. However, I walked by the CO with much confidence and without saying a word, walked over to the old coach’s office. I peeked inside and he was sitting at his desk. I knocked and went in. He told me to sit down and when he told me that I thought to myself “Oh boy, this can’t be good.” He told me he went to the Captain’s office yesterday, but he wasn’t there. The old coach left my letter with the Captain’s secretary and as of yet hasn’t heard anything back. Again I thought to myself, “Here I go again not knowing what is going on.” He called the Captain and this conversation lasted a few minutes and I could tell by listening to the old coach I wasn’t going to find out my status. I was right because the Captain said he would have to check some things out and he would get back to him.

After chatting with the old coach, much to my surprise the telephone rang and it was the Captain calling back. The old coach had a lot of concern in his face as he was talking to the Captain. Yet again, my heart sank and thought something was wrong. According to the Captain, inmates who are going to Fire Camp and are flagged do not automatically go to the top of the list. Now there is an order and right now they are taking inmates who completed their fire fighting requirements in January. Since I completed these in March, I have to wait a few more weeks – most likely a month or more.

This is where it gets tricky – so please bear with me. I do understand the need for order in selecting inmates to go to fire camp; however, this is a grand “theory” proposed by the Captain. In “reality” inmates are being transferred to fire camp out of order. Case in point – 7 members of my FTP Class have already been transferred to fire camp, yet I am still waiting. It seems to me, the Captain is following this theory, but others who are responsible for transfers are not adhering to this theory. This Captain is only one of the many “decision makers” regarding fire camp transfers, but he is my only contact. I explained all of this to the old coach and he did understand, but he is very much by the book.

There was another coach in the office at the time and she had another idea which was to call the fire camp directly. She did this for an instructor of hers and placed him in the fire camp. Yes, it took three months but this was another option. As it turns out, this fire camp is the same one I would like to go to. I could tell the old coach was not going to do this since he is much by the book. Later on he told me, “I can’t call the fire camp directly because this would be going behind the Captain’s back. I can’t do this because the Captain has ALWAYS been good to me.” I understood and told the old coach that I certainly didn’t want him to do something he can’t do in good conscience.

When the old coach was speaking with the Captain, he did some very favorable things on my behalf such as stating, “He is one of the most conscientious Instructors I have ever had.” This was good to hear and also I don’t know quite what transpired the first 2 times the old coach spoke with the Captain, but I do believe he did speak with him. I’m also not sure why the rules have changed for me but apparently they have. Even the old coach remarked, “You have every right to be angry that these rules have now changed.” I’m not angry at all, this is all part of things I have no control over and I truly accept this. I was hoping to be transferred last month and it didn’t happen. Now I hope to be transferred by July. I really thought being an Instructor would have some “juice” into getting to fire camp quickly, but now it appears not to be the case for me. There is a reason for all this – perhaps it is a test of my patience and resolve. I will remain resolute to my recovery and my patience remains solid. I will remain positive and hope to be transferred by July.

Although the outcome of speaking with the old coach wasn’t what I wanted, I was happy to receive this information. Now I know where I stand and I know the Captain is indeed aware of me. I am not just a file in a stack of papers. Whether this helps expedite things, I doubt, but I have truly done all that I can do and now it is time to sit back and wait. So goes the saga of getting my transfer to fire camp quickly and now I will concentrate on staying positive each and everyday.

A quick aside – I received a letter from one of my dear friends I haven’t heard from in awhile. It was postmarked April 1st! This letter was from Canada, but 40 days for delivery seems like much! Also, this dear friend has sent me another letter which I have yet to receive. I wonder where they are? There was some unfortunate news in one of the letters. All I can say is life is so precious and no one knows what tomorrow will bring.