Saturday, August 11, 2007

Blessings of Dear Friends

Last night as I reached the window to receive my mail, the CO stated, “You are the big winner today!” and handed me 5 pieces of mail. I was certainly the big winner and having such special dear friends in my life, everyday is certainly a blessing. Four of these pieces were from very special friends and all of these friends have entered my life in the past 2 ½ years. I am beyond fortunate to have so many extraordinary people in my life. I am grateful for every one of them. The remainder of the evening I was sitting outside when someone spotted a falling star and I noticed the Big Dipper very clearly in the night sky. The surroundings of the camp continue to be very peaceful and serene. Before I realized it the night was over and it was time for bed.

I woke up at my regular time looking forward to a visit from two very special long-time friends. After breakfast I waited patiently for my visit. My friends were coming from a long distance and I certainly didn’t expect them to arrive right when visiting opened. I was hoping they didn’t get lost. While I waited, I read a few more chapters of Harry Potter. This helped to pass the time but I certainly was eager for my friends’ visit to arrive. Shortly after 10:00 am, my name was announced over the loudspeaker and my friends had arrived. I walked down to the visiting area and saw them near the entrance. I have known each of these people for over 30 years. They were friends of my mother and as the years passed they became dear friends of mine as well. One is the godfather to my son and each of them has had a profound effect on my life.

As I walked into the visiting area, I was greeted with two very strong embraces. The last time I saw each of them was over 14 months ago and today we picked up where we left off. The visit was magnificent and I am truly blessed to have friends like these. We talked, talked, talked some more, laughed, talked some more until the visiting area was closed. The 4 ½ hours flew by and I am fortunate to have them return tomorrow. We had great conversations and I immensely enjoyed the time we had together. Life does provide for a very strange journey and never in my wildest imagination would I have thought the 3 of us would be in a State Prison Visiting Area. Yet here I was with two of my dearest long time friends and it was just like old times. The only difference was the venue and the fact I was wearing all orange. Those are great people who took time out of their busy lives to drive a long distance just to visit me. I had a smile on my face all day long.

I certainly didn’t want them to leave but our time together was over and they departed. They will return tomorrow and I will have a double dose of all the incredible friends in my life. Tomorrow morning is the GA meeting/visit and when that is over my dear friends from today will return. I have a full weekend of visits. I am thrilled to have so many old and new friends. Each one of them provides me with love, encouragement, strength, support, kindness, and hope. I have so many things to be thankful for and today these 2 very beloved friends made my day!