Sunday, August 05, 2007

Sunday Does Mean Visit

Last night the conversation turned toward addiction and recovery. Someone had asked the question, “Is an addict always an addict?” Additionally the same person stated, “Doesn’t being in a 12 step program promote the possibility of going out because the therapies are always centered on the addiction?” These are good statements and very thought provoking. I am an addict as a compulsive gambler and believe an addict is always an addict but for myself I am one in recovery. This makes a large difference because I am moving forward not sticking to the past. If all the therapies centered on old gambling exploits there wouldn’t be any recovery. GA is a Program of Recovery and I identify myself as a compulsive gambler in recovery. The stories of old gambling exploits can trigger relapses which is why I focus on the recovery aspect. GA continues to save my life and I am blessed to be a part of this incredible fellowship. I do realize 12 step programs are not for everyone and I cannot explain why. I do know GA works for me as long as I work the Program. Work is a harsh word and I prefer to say “incorporate the Program into my daily affairs.” It is not work for me because it has become my way of life. I have found a Program with so many amazing people which continues to save my life in so many ways.

There have been some very meaningful conversations over the past few days – from religion to recovery. I continue to learn so much and am happy to be part of the conversations, but I make it a point to really listen before speaking. I can learn much more this way. It doesn’t matter where the conversation emanates and I do know these conversations are occurring for a purpose.

Sundays are my day of rest from exercising and I stuck to this plan this morning. I slept in until 6:00 am, showered, watched the news, and went to breakfast. Sundays have also become my predominant visiting day. Two of my very dear friends arrived today for a visit. I have written about these two extraordinary people before and with each visit my love for them grows. They are incredibly generous, warm, giving, and loving people. They were the first ones to arrive in visiting and I quickly made my way down to the visiting area. I am such a fortunate person to have so many wonderful people in my life. These two people warm my heart when I think about them. I have come to know them through he GA Program but my friendship for them is limitless. These are great people doing remarkable things for me.

They came armed with so much food. We snacked on a very tasty cantaloupe along with blue tortilla chips and salsa. Lunch consisted of swordfish and corn on the cob. I did cook the food on the grill with the assistance of my friends. The food was delicious but most importantly the company was perfect. We talked and laughed the entire time of the visit. I love these two dear friends with all my heart. They always make my day when they visit and today was not an exception. I ate so much, I didn’t have room for the watermelon. This visit was indeed exceptional and once again made my day and week.

The visit came to an end as my friends had to head back home. They spent 5 hours of their day with me and I enjoyed every minute. As they departed, we hugged and kissed. The love from these 2 dear friends is incredible. I continue to be a very blessed person with so much happiness in my life. Thanks to the GA Program, my life has been opened up in so many ways - all of which are positive. I would not have met these two dear friends had it not been for the Program which gives in so many different ways and I am eternally grateful. I thank my 2 very special friends for once again brightening my life. I love the two of you very much!