Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Fire Season Is Here

I was awake from 4:00 a.m. for the rest of the day. I sat and watched the fire burn. At this point, we were waiting for relief from another crew. During this period, we had to ensure the integrity of the fire line. We did this, and the fire line was in good shape. Then it turned to a waiting game. The wait wasn’t too bad, and we were relieved from the fire at 10:30 a.m. We hiked back out to the fire bus and headed back to camp. This was a 24-hour journey from the time we departed camp to our return. The hot shower felt great, and then it was on to the fire lunch. This did not end my day because this evening my crew, along with another crew, is headed to Santa Barbara for the Zacca fire. This fire has been burning since July 4th, and to date, it is the second largest wildfire in the history of California, having burned over 220,000 acres. Currently, the fire is 75T contained, and expected containment is scheduled for September 7th. This most likely means I will be gone until at least September 7th if not longer. Currently, there are two other crews from this camp that have been on this fire for the past three weeks. I believe the most the crews are allowed to be out on a fire is 21 days, so these crews should be back in camp in the next few days. This 21-day rule is good for me because my mother and sister arrive here for a visit in 24 days from now, so I will be back in time for their visit.

Yes, fire season appears in full bloom this week. All of the crews are going strong on the fires, and it appears I will be away for the next few weeks. I will do my best to write somewhat when I am on the fire, but there won’t be any postings until I send these writings out upon my return. Also, if anyone writes me, please know I am not ignoring the letters. I won’t receive them until I get back as well. In addition, the GA meeting visits will have to be postponed until after the visit from my mother and sister. Conceivably, this could be my last fire as I have filed the paperwork for the in-camp prison position of bathroom porter. Once again, all indication points to me receiving this position, but I take nothing for granted. I will keep safe and positive (as always) as I am away on the fire. There are many positives to being on a fire crew, and one of them is the time does pass by quickly. If all goes as planned, when I return back to camp, I will be under the six-month mark to my release date. Each day I get closer and closer to rejoining my family, and each day I stay positive. My life is wonderful thanks to recovery and all the wonderful people who have given me nothing but love and support. I’m sure I will have a great deal to write about upon my return. Life in recovery is, indeed, extraordinary.

No comments: