Friday, September 02, 2005

Empathy and Criticism

First off Happy Anniversary to my sister and brother-in-law two of the world's greatest people and I really mean that; I love you guys and wish you many many more!!!!

It is so easy to criticize any situation because hindsight is always 20/20. The media is taking the Federal Government to task for their lack of a timely response to the tragic events of this week caused by Hurricane Katrina. The media has every right to criticize the federal government and I too wonder why it has taken so long to get people food and water. Yes, this is the worst natural disaster in the history of the United States so we cannot compare it to anything else. Yes, the response time has been woeful and it is hard to believe this is happening in the United States; however; I cannot criticize any of these actions I can only empathize with the people who are hungry, tired and sick.

I have no idea what I would have done in this situation and no one knows only those in the situation know so I have no right to criticize anyone. I saw Michael Chertnoff (please forgive me if I spelled his name incorrectly) the head of Homeland Security holding a press conference and having him say "he knows what it is like to be stranded and rescued from a rooftop because the bottom two floors of the house are flooded so he can sympathize with the people on the Gulf Coast". Sorry, Mr. Chertnoff but I wasn't aware you were rescued from a similar situation so I believe he has no idea what those people are going through just like I have no idea what they are going through. Faced with similar circumstances I can only imagine what I would do but until it happens I can only feel my heart grow heavy for everyone in this situation.

Until I walk a mile in someone else's shoes do I know what they are feeling other than that I can only guess and I have not right to. My thoughts and prayers go out to each person in this predicament because most importantly they are human beings. Sometimes we get caught up in political lines and think of people as Republican or Democrat or Liberal or Conservative or White or Black or Asian or anything else but each living being is a HUMAN. We are drawn together because we live and breathe who I am to criticize another human being for their actions or inactions in a certain situation that I have never been in, it is not right. We need to help each human being and cut across party lines, colors and ethnicity because without humans this planet would be a desolate place.

Does survival of the fittest take place in the 21st century or do we as a society have a duty to help others who may not be as fit? Having been in a 12 step program for six months I have learned so much about myself and about others. One of those things I just wrote about; I cannot take anyone's inventory because I do not know what is going on in their mind. Another one of the things that I have learned is I have an obligation to HELP people not to HURT people. I have done enough damage in my life and now it is time to HELP people. I want to give back what I have learned and continued to learn to people effected by compulsive gambling. I have been effected and will always be effected by compulsive gambling for the rest of my life. Does this make me a week person and should I been thrown to the dogs or can I be saved? Thank goodness I can be saved because I have met so many magnificent people in the past six months who have taken the time to share their experiences with me and I realize I am not alone. I am indebted to all of these people and I thank them for their support because without them I would be in a bad place.

Yes, we as a society have a responsibility to help others who aren't as fortunate. The people on the Gulf Coast have had their lives turned upside down because of nature and we owe it to them to help. I have donated my airline mileage to the Red Cross and I suggest to do whatever you can to help. I know in my situation a great many people have gone out of their way to help me and without this help I too would be stranded. Please see it in your hearts to give whatever you can. Here is the website for the Red Cross; http://www.redcross.org/ Thank you.

No comments: