Sunday, September 04, 2005

New Orleans

The first time I went to New Orleans was in 1993. I spent two weeks in the greater New Orleans area on business and my wife flew down to meet me over Labor Day weekend. We made a long weekend seeing the sites of New Orleans and had a fabulous time. We went into a bar on Bourbon Street during happy hour (which I think is all the time in New Orleans!!) and I asked for a beer and the bartender ask me if I wanted 3 or 6 beers? I said I want one but the bartender said all of the drinks were 3 for 1 meaning I couldn't just buy one beer I had to buy 3 beers!! Only in New Orleans. It was a very eye opening trip and my wife and I saw the stately manors surrounding New Orleans. It is just unimaginable how all of this is virtually gone. How can a major metropolitan city be destroyed? It appears most of the citizens of New Orleans have been evacuated (finally) and now this grand city is a ghost town.

After visiting New Orleans in 1993 I had gone there three other times all on business. I had a tour of the New Orleans and the greater New Orleans area by one of my former employers. Two gentlemen showed me around lower Louisiana over the course of two days. In fact I am currently wearing a shirt from that particular trip in 1997. Most of where they took me has been devastated beyond belief. Imagine waking up one morning and having your house and all of your possessions gone. Also; your employer is no longer in business meaning you have no job. How does one keep up hope? I don't know the answer to this but without hope there is only despair and despair breeds bad things. Hope does spring eternal and I pray for all of those effected by this horrific situation that they find hope, may God bless them.

One of my friends spoke with the amazing lady from Slidell as she made her way back to where her house was. They found a tree had toppled over into the house along with 8 feet of water. The house has been destroyed much like every other house in Slidell. She was able to get some mementos and she plans on going back in a few weeks to see what else she can salvage. She is staying in Baton Rouge with many other displaced families. Life will not seem "normal" again for a long long time but I know she has the strength and hope to endure this terrible dilemma.

The population in Baton Rouge has doubled over the past two days and getting essentials is very difficult. Starting over for all of these people is an understatement, some folks only have the clothes on their back and nothing more. Please I know I have stated this before we are all humans and we should help those in need. The people in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama need all the help they can get; here is the Red Cross site once again; please give what you can, thank you.

No comments: