Thursday, September 15, 2005

Encouragement

It is almost unbelievable how much encouragement I have in my life from some very special people. The words of encouragement have come from many people and I consider these people my good friends. Additionally, the encouragement I garner from my immediate family on a daily basis is incredible.

It started last evening when I decided to send an email to a former business associate telling them about my new business. I have been wanting to do this for a number of weeks; however; I have been putting it off. I realized why I was putting it off and it goes back to my old bad character trait of fear of being rejected. I didn't realize how much I feared rejection. I always seemed to have the need to be liked; this was important to me. I would never create animosity and would always avoid confrontation. Why I am like this I am still working on but I am starting to realize many things about myself.

I sent the email off to this former business associate and five minutes later I received a phone call. Yes, it was this person and we talked for awhile. Please keep in mind this is the first time we have spoke in six months. We talked about my new business, how our families were doing and about my particular situation. People can be very surprising; for the most part people respond in a positive and encouraging manner and yes, there are those nay sayers that no matter what I do will always be negative but that is their loss not mine. This person was both positive and encouraging and when we finished our conversation I felt so much better. My fear of rejection was unfounded because I am doing the right things and finally making the choices.

This morning I received a phone call from my younger sister. No matter how I feel before I speak with her I always feel better after speaking with her no matter what the circumstances. She has a way of uplifting my spirits and putting things in their proper perspective. We spoke for awhile and talked about our children and other assorted things nothing too deep but when the conversation was over she had done it again; my spirits were uplifted. I have said this before even though she is four years younger than me she is light years ahead of me in terms of wisdom. She is an incredible young woman.

I had a lunch meeting with two new very dear friends. No matter how bad the situation there is always something good that comes from it. These two people are the good that has come from my bad situation. I would have never met these two individuals had the events of the past six months not transpired and I would be a lesser person. I value each of these peoples friendship as I had known them for 25 years even though I only met them some six months ago. These are two wise individuals each unique in their own right. We had a great lunch and I always look forward to seeing each of them. Listening to their positive words helps me so very much and I am honored to call them my friends.

Finally, this evening was the beginning of the show Survivor. This happens to be my children's favorite television program. In fact this is the only show on television where we allow our children to watch from start to finish. My daughter first started watching it about four years ago when she was three. Each season she always looks forward to Thursday evening at 8:00 pm. Naturally her younger brother had to follow in her footsteps (this is what he does very well!!) and couldn't be left out. We also allow him to watch the show from start to finish. When the show started this evening both of my children were sitting with me on the recliner and my daughter remained there throughout the hour long program. It is amazing how much love I have and I feel for my children. There is no better feeling in the world than having my children by my side. I love them so very much.

No comments: