Saturday, September 03, 2005

The "High" of Gambling

The "high" of gambling has been compared to the "high" induced by cocaine. I have been "high" on gambling but (this is with all honesty) I have never been high on any illegal drug in fact I have never (to quote a famous or infamous depending on your political views, president) I never "inhaled" any drug so I can't draw a firsthand comparison. I can tell you what a runner's high is and I can tell you the rush gambling has given me and the two are very similar and sometimes perspiration is involved with both. The heart races the head thinks of nothing else but the game or whatever event the wager was made on and when it is over you wind up craving more and the more you do it the more the head needs the fix.

This concept makes no sense to most people; however; if anyone has gambled on anything in their life I would venture to say the majority of the people had some type of rush from the bet. Whether it was a pull on the slot machine, a wager on the 21 table, a wager at the racetrack or buying the daily lottery ticket. However; the clear distinction for most people is they do NOT become addicted to gambling. There is a minority that do become addicted and this minority (which I am a part of) does some major damage to their lives and to others.

I was reading an article about the changing face of the compulsive gambler and how the internet and poker craze has accelerated the younger generation into becoming compulsive gamblers. One of the lines in the article talks about endorphins and it is almost an aside to the article; however; I believe it is a key ingredient in the make of compulsive gambler rather I should say I believe it is a key ingredient in me becoming a compulsive gambler. The rush the high whatever you want to call it becomes almost a necessity (at least for me) and it made me do some stupid things to continue this obsession.

Currently this is the third time I have tried to stop gambling; however; this is the first time I have openly and honestly said I have a gambling problem and my life has become unmanageable due to this gambling problem. I am powerless to gambling and need help. I have found help in many forms which all have been written about before most notably Gamblers Anonymous and my family. Without the fellowship known as Gamblers Anonymous and the incredible amount of love and support from my family I would be wallowing in a dumpster or alley somewhere. I thank God each and every day; for my life is starting to make more sense one day at a time.

No comments: