Friday, September 23, 2005

Friends

Going through my personal crisis I have found tremendous support from my family and friends. I thank God every day for the people in my life who have stood by me through this horrible ordeal. Tonight I received a phone call from a very dear friend and this phone call boosted my spirits immensely. Seven months ago I took a great many things for granted and I thought I had many friends. I have found out that I should not take anything for granted and I don't have many friends but the friends I do have are extraordinary.

Everyone makes mistakes in their lives and God knows I have made a very large one. However; through my family and my friends I have learned that there are some very special people in this world and they do not judge. These people see my true character not the character I was for the past few years. I would be totally lost without this support and I would like to thank everyone for this support.

I would like to share a quote from the Day at a Time Gamblers Anonymous book; "Can I believe, in the words of Browning, that my business is not to remake myself but to make the absolute best of what God made". I wrote about how it is never too late to change in yesterday's blog and I want to take it a step further with the previous quote. I do not have to remake myself to change I have to make the absolute best of what God made. I am not a terrible person; I let my gambling addiction get the best of me. I am taking the necessary steps to ensure I make the best of what was already inside of me.

By taking these steps one day at time and making progress one day at time I am changing for the better. I do not have to have perfection because perfection is unattainable. I have to make progress in being a person with a positive purpose. As long as I make positive progress I am on the road to recovery and having the support of my family and friends makes this journey all the more worthwhile.

Finally I want to send my thoughts and prayers to the people of Texas and Louisiana; may God be with them. Also; I want to send my condolences to my Great Aunt Margaret's family. My Great Aunt Margaret passed away on Wednesday. It has been a particularly tough past few years for my Great Aunt Margaret she lost her husband and son. May they all rest in peace.

No comments: