Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Gary D.

Early on in my recovery I made it a point to seek out those who have gone before me. I have found the best way to understand anything is to research and ask questions. I decided to contact people who are recovering compulsive gamblers. In a few weeks I will have a chance to meet many people who have gone before me at a conference in Southern California and it will be my pleasure to meet these people. One of the most influential (to me) people I have spoken with in the past seven months was in the news today. I usually don't like to name names but his is a very public story and I will share the link and I will refer to him as Gary D. Oh by the way yes, as the story indicates there is certainly life after gambling.

When I spoke with Gary D. some six months ago it was the most inspiring conversation I have ever had. We spoke for about an hour and I had goose bumps throughout the conversation. Here is a man at the top of the Gaming Industry only to be brought down by the same vice he had made a very good career in. Yes, it even happens to Gaming Executives. Gary D. couldn't control his gambling and he did some bad things because of his addiction. However, after four long years and some outstanding recovery work he is back in a fantastic position. During his four years he started two Gamblers Anonymous meetings and in places where one would have thought there should have been meetings; nearby Atlantic City. He has inspired many people including me and yes, once the madness stopped he found the true person he really is. I am honored to have met this person and I congratulate him on his new position.

The addiction to gambling knows no boundaries, if you are rich, poor, old, young, highly educated or not educated at all it can strike anyone. I feel a strong connection with Gary D. because we both come from the same industry and we are both compulsive gamblers. Gary D. did not go to prison because of his compulsive gambling but it was like a prison because he was prohibited from making a living until he got his act together. Gary D. is a role model for recovery and his stories are so inspiring he helped me immensely at a very early stage in my recovery.

Gary D. has three children and unlike my two children his kids were old enough to understand what was going on with Dad and it was very public but he made it through. His wife stayed with him and thank God my wife has stayed with me as well. As you can see the connection is very strong and yes, there is certainly hope for me as long as I continue to do the right things. These right things include abstaining from gambling, making as many Gamblers Anonymous meetings as possible, working the Program, living life with a purpose and giving back as much as possible. Yes, the road for Gary D. was long but he was able to weather everything in front of him and he is a great person. His successful journey is a testament of his true character and a life without gambling is a great one.

No comments: