Saturday, April 29, 2006

"Bonus" Saturday

This morning was unlike other Saturday mornings in the past 13 1/2 months because I did not attend the Saturday morning Gamblers Anonymous meeting. I did not attend the meeting because I had a conflict; my son had a soccer game at the same time of the meeting and the regular coach couldn't make the game so he had asked me to be the coach for today. Of course I said and yes, and I do understand the importance of the GA meeting and I also understand the importance of being at my son's soccer game. I do know that without my recovery I wouldn't have to make these choices because all of my choices would be gone so I must be cognizant each and every day of my behavior.

My behavior over the past 13 1/2 months has allowed me to fully enjoy life. This morning was one of those great days. It was a great Southern California day weather wise and I got to take part in my son's soccer game. The game lasts about an hour and it is great. The kids have a wonderful time and no one takes it too seriously. Thank God they don't take it too seriously because these kids are five and six years old and all they care about is running around on the field.

We don't really keep score so winning and losing are secondary to having fun. I had fun and the kids had fun which is all that matters. On the score front; my son's soccer team hasn't scored more goals than their opponent in all the games they have played so far but it doesn't matter to any of the kids. The kids were happy to run around and get their snacks after the game. It is great to be a five year old!!

After my son's game I had the pleasure of running 12 miles before my daughter's soccer game. I realized I do like to run and I do like the feeling I get when I run and after I run. When I am running I do get the sensation of the endorphins in my brain which blocks out all that is going on inside my head. I ran for an hour and half so for this time all I concentrated on was my run. Also; I do like how my legs feel after my run. Yes, they are sore but it is a good kind of sore; I know I am using my legs in a positive manner which makes me feel very good. By the way; the talk I had with the person who spent the last five years in prison; he had told me he ran 15 miles a day while he was in prison. At least I have something to look forward to.

This afternoon was my daughter's soccer game on a glorious afternoon. She is 8 years old and the parents seem to take these games a little more serious than my son's game. I guess the expectations grow as we get older. It is still fun but some parents are more serious than others and it is sad to see the children of the "serious" parents don't seem to be having as much fun as the other children.

I try my best to encourage my daughter without putting any pressure on her because God knows she puts so much pressure on herself. She does have fun but I know if I put any kind of pressure on her it would be detrimental to her development. I just hope she continues to get the fun aspect of the sport as opposed to the serious aspect. Being 8 years old is a little tougher than being 5 years old but she is a GREAT kid.

This evening we are having our dear friends over with their children to play games and just relax. These are great friends who have been there for both my wife and I over this past year. I am so grateful for their support and friendship. Speaking of friendship; last night I went with a dear friend (one-half of the couple who is coming over tonight) to see United 93. My wife was worried she would be disturbed after she saw the movie so she passed on going so I found out my friend was interested and we decided to go.

I am so glad I saw the movie because it was one of the best made movies I have seen in a long time. I believe everyone should see this movie as a reminder to what happened on September 11, 2001. Much like the reasons I am involved in Gamblers Anonymous; I should never ever forget where my gambling took me this movie showed me; we as a country should never ever forget what happened on that day almost five years ago.

We as a people and a society have a tendency of forgiving and forgetting. It is okay to forgive and I know because I have been given so much forgiveness from so many people but I must never forget what I did to myself and those around me. Much the same way this movie; United 93 tells the story of how we as country got caught with our pants down and 20 people took advantage of our laziness. We (also me) must not be lazy or we (me) are doomed to repeat our (my) mistakes of the past. The movie was excellent and but I must warn anyone who is going to see it the last 10 minutes are the most intense 10 minutes I have ever seen in any movie. The theater was silent as in you could hear a pin drop when the movie ended. My recommendation is to go see it as a history lesson and don't ever forget this lesson.

No comments: