Sunday, April 23, 2006

So-long Mom

Earlier today my daughter and I took my mother to the airport so she could catch her return flight to New Jersey. I was given an unexpected 40 hours extra to spend with mom and I think we made the best of it. I have written about this great woman before and nothing has changed. She is a fabulous mother and I love her so dearly. I know what I have done to this poor woman has created such unnecessary stress in her life because I could see it on her face. I apologize profusely for putting her through this terrible situation. With that said; I am forever grateful for her amazing support for not only me but my family.

Last night I had the opportunity to speak with my mother one on one for a few hours without any interruption. We started at 11:00 pm and thought we would be done by midnight but we went to 2:00 am talking about what had transpired in court the day before and a whole assortment of topics. My mom's diagnosis of me being a "SICK TICKET" was dead on. When I was gambling, lying, stealing and cheating I was completely out of control. I thank God each and everyday for giving me the opportunity to get my life back together and in 419 days my life continues to get better.

Our three hour conversation was very enlightening for both of us and I am so glad we had this time together. I don't know the next time I will see my mom so every minute of the past 2 days was truly a gift. As I dropped my mom off at the airport we hugged and kissed and said so-long for awhile. There was no good-bye because good-byes last forever and I know I will see my mom sometime in the future. I have learned over the past 13 1/2 months that the future is not guaranteed and the past is gone so today is what matters most. Today was a great day because I got to see a very special woman who has given me so very much in so many ways; Mom I love you!!

Tonight was another very special Gamblers Anonymous meeting and I am so blessed to be experiencing the gift a meeting brings to my life. We have so many special people in the meeting that it truly is extraordinary. These are great people who are doing great things to get their lives in order. People without or who are in denial from an addiction may have a hard time understanding a 12 Step Recovery Program and I believe they are truly missing something very special. I have been blessed, honored and privileged to share these meetings with some great people over this past year and I am forever grateful to this Program for giving my life back.

A very dear member who I consider a very dear friend spoke to me about something after the meeting and I was blown away by what they had told me. These are fantastic people who just want to help. There is no ulterior motive just genuine compassion. There are some great people in this world and I am surrounded by so many of them that I am forever grateful for each and every one of them. Life is a gift and my life keeps giving and giving each and everyday by these very special people. Thank you once again for supporting me and my family in this time of crisis; I love each of you so very much.

No comments: