Monday, July 16, 2007

A Day to Myself

I guess I am getting used to the fact that there are seven unoccupied rooms in my dorm. I slept fairly well and got up at my usual time to start my Monday morning exercise routine. I was back in form as I ran for almost an hour and 40 minutes. I was feeling very good and realized today would be a day to myself as my crew is still gone, and I have no assignment. I finished the very good run and went into the shower along with my morning ritual. I went to breakfast for the hot cereal, biscuits, and potatoes. Everyone at the table made a comment about the dehydrated potatoes and these potatoes went uneaten on every tray.

With breakfast over and no assignment, there was no reason to boot up, but I did anyway out of habit. I checked in with the other in-campers, and I did have a day to myself as I anxiously await my family visit tomorrow. I went back to my room to do some writing, but I wanted more exercise. I decided to do 90 minutes on the Harvard Wall as a way to kill the morning. When I came back, the bathroom was closed for deep cleaning, which is always good, so I had to wait about two hours for my shower. I managed to pass the time having lunch. I made a peanut butter and honey sandwich for the first time in my life. I’m not sure I enjoyed it because I associate the taste of honey with being sick. I rarely use honey other than in my tea when I am sick so eating it when I am not sick is a bit strange. Also, it appears a bit too sweet for my taste, so I will stick to the regular PB&J sandwiches. I do need to find a home for the over-100 packets of honey that were given to me by the member of the “table” who paroled a few weeks ago. At least I tried something new.

Amazingly enough, the day passed soon enough as I looked ahead toward tomorrow. Check-in for the family visit is not until 1:00 p.m., so I still have the entire morning to get through before I see my family once again. Time seems to pass very quickly, and they will be here before I know it. Today was a day to myself, and I received a letter from my younger sister along with photographs of her beautiful children. My sister also sent me a book, “The Glass Castle” by Jeannette Walls. It sounds like a remarkable memoir of resilience and redemption. I am looking forward to reading it. Now, I wait patiently for tomorrow and spending 69 consecutively blissful hours with my family.