Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Tree Pruning

With such a fast day on Monday, Tuesday morning rolled around so quickly. I did get up early and exercised since I missed yesterday. I stayed with my normal routine. I felt so good, and comparing it to last Tuesday, I was a full seven minutes ahead of last week. Some days are better than others, and today was one of those good ones.

Breakfast was a peanut-butter-ladened feast as I spread it all over the pancakes (which were the best tasting I have had since arriving here over two months ago) and oatmeal. It seems the food is changing for the better in the dining hall. I do know the food clerk fairly well, and he has informed me of the changes. He was the one who told me about the comment by the C/O the other day). My diet is so limited that the changes really don’t affect me, but it seems even the oatmeal has flavor as brown sugar has been added.

There weren’t any fire calls today, so it was a day on the grade with the regular captain who returned from vacation. The regular captain is a very nice man, but he lacks energy. It is amazing how this lack of energy is transferred to the crew. I was affected by it as well. I found myself lethargic at first and had to constantly motivate myself. I found myself saying negative things, and I had to stop myself. No matter what, energies when dealing with a group setting are contagious in both the negative and positive. I will take positive any day, and I have to check myself from getting negative. The odd fact is the regular captain is not a negative person but he isn’t a positive person. I believe it is his low energy which translates into a negative. It seems not being positive has the same effect as being negative, and I saw it in myself and the crew members today.

The assignment for today was creating a fuel break in a densely wooded area. The idea was to clear about 150 feet of vegetation from the roadside while creating a park-like setting. Essentially, our crew along with two other crews was pruning tress and bushes. My task was to move the cut trees and bushes into a pile along with a separate pile of stacks and stacks of firewood along the side of the road. I’m sure the homeowners will help themselves to the firewood. This appears to be a lengthy project as there is a great deal of area to cut. The great part about our crew is we do work together very well. The area was on a slop3, and the best way to pile up the cut brush was to form a chain between crew members. These are great guys I work with. In fact, everyone I have met a camp is a great guy. I am so impressed with everyone, and I believe everyone should treat these “convicts”, of which I am certainly one, with respect. The lady we passed yesterday at the fire thanked us for the hard work. She may or may not have known we were convicts, but in the end, this did not matter because we are all people. I do believe everyone comes from a very spiritual place, and we hare having a human experience. With that stated, I am fortunate to be associated with outstanding humans.

The day wrapped up but not before the captain asked another crew member and me how much time we have remaining on our sentences. I told him I have seven months remaining, and it seems he is planning ahead as some crew members will be departing soon. I have no aspirations of moving up in the hook line order as I am content with being on a Macleod. I don’t want to learn how to operate a chainsaw, and I will leave this to somebody more deserving. There are guys here who enjoy being a firefighter (not that I don’t), and these guys can pursue a career in firefighting. Even with a conviction on their record, they can rise to the rank of captain. I believe this has happened several times already. I believe this is a great opportunity for anyone. I cannot see myself being a wild land firefighter, but I am enjoying the experience. This experience continues to teach me so much, and I will leave here having learned so many valuable lessons. Also, I know I have much to learn and won’t stop learning when I am long gone from this place. I am grateful for the opportunity, and I continue to meet extraordinary people.

We arrived back at camp 10 minutes later than usual. Then 10 minutes is really not that much, but when there is a schedule to maintain, 10 minutes means something. I had plenty of time to shower prior to dinner, and I even had time to pick up the books my wonderful sister sent me. She sent me “The Secret” by Rhonda Byrne and “Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows” by J. K. Rowling. I have been waiting for both of these books, and now they are here. I’ve never read more than one book at a time (I’m not sure why), but I may have to start reading these books in addition to the one I am currently reading (“Armageddon”). I was so excited to receive these books. Thank you so much sister!

Just like that, the second day of the work week had come to an end. I cannot believe how fast these nights go. It seems I get back from the grade, shower, eat, receive mail, write, and it is time to go to sleep. I am grateful that the time is going by so fast. I remember back in Jamestown where I could write the blog and back to any of the letters I received the same day. Now, there are some days where I don’t have the time to write the blog let alone write a letter. Hopefully, this doesn’t come across like complaining because I certainly am not. In fact, I love when the day goes by in the blink of an eye. I do have plenty of time on the weekends to read and write, which is the way it should be. The week is reserved for work, and tomorrow’s hump day is also starting another month. I’m all for closing out one month while starting another month because this means I am that much closer to rejoining my family on a full-time basis. Time moves on, and this is a blessing in my life.