Sunday, July 29, 2007

Full Table

I look forward to the GA meeting/visit so much. Today we held another installment of this meeting. I took my usual perch at 8:30 am when the visiting yard opens. I was stationed at an area where I could see everyone who was coming in. I noticed 3 of my dear friends entering. Normally there are 4 or 5 who come so I was hoping nothing happened to my other friends. My name was announced over the PA system and I made my way down to the visiting area. I reached the visiting area and saw a table filled with 7 of my dear friends from GA. I was blown away by the love and support from these wonderful people. Two members who I haven’t seen before arriving in prison were at the meeting. It was great to see them as well as everyone else. These are great people doing remarkable things and these touch my life in so many different ways.

I greeted everyone with a warm embrace. I could feel the love emanating from each one of them as I entered the visiting yard. As we hugged, I could feel the love from the bottom of my feet to the top of my head. They come with so much food; they could have fed the entire camp. The food is wonderful and the fact that they were here working the essence of the GA Program meant the most to me. Step 5 of the Unity Program states “Gamblers Anonymous has but one primary purpose – to carry its message to the compulsive gambler who still suffers.” My cherished friends were doing just this. They brought the Program to me and I am forever grateful for each and everyone of them.

The meeting commenced and the words are so powerful. I have been given an opportunity to truly change my life and 2 years and 5 months into this Program, everything continues to get better. This morning was incredible and there is no doubt in my mind that the Program works if you work it and it never fails I always learn something at every meeting. There were so many things stated and each of them rang true. Sure I kind of stood out in my orange garb, but I was just like everyone else – a compulsive gambler in recovery.

As always it was a fantastic way to spend a Sunday. The meeting/visit lasted 1 ½ hours and did want everyone to stay all day (yes, I was being selfish, so sorry) but I understand everyone has lives to lead. I was extremely grateful for the meeting and I love everyone. I love the GA Program because it saves and enhances my life everyday. Without the Program, I would be lost but now I have discovered a great life which is to live one day at a time. I would like to accelerate those days in order to reach March 2nd but this is not possible. I will continue to enjoy each and everyday. Today was one of the exceptional days all thanks to my beloved friends.

The meeting/visit came to an end and my dear friends departed. I walked back to camp with a broad smile on my face. It was just one week ago that I made this walk as my family departed for the final time. The week did pass soon enough and as the GA Combo Book states, “BE PATIENT! The days and weeks will pass soon enough and as you regularly attend meetings, abstain from gambling and follow the guidelines on this page, you will experience continued recovery.” I am experiencing this continuing recovery all thanks to the GA Program and the incredible people within the Program!