Friday, July 27, 2007

Installing a Gate

The question is – how many inmates, firefighters, and Captains does it take to install a rather large heavy metal gate to protect the entrance of a Desert State Park? Answer: “Many.” The assignment today under a different Captain was to install a gate and put up barbed wire surrounding the gate. The hardest part about this was digging the holes for the gateposts. This was an entrance to a Desert State Park so the ground was very hard. It took a jackhammer to penetrate the dirt. I continue to be impressed by my crew members as one member exclusively operated his jack hammer to all morning into the afternoon. I know I wouldn’t stand a chance against this jack hammer as it would destroy me. My crew mate almost made it look easy which it certainly was not.

The holes were dug and it was time to pour the cement. I sort of kept out of the way because all of this was a learning experience for me. I fetched whatever was needed and kept the area cleared. With one hole about 4 foot – filled with concrete, we had another hole to go. However, we utilized our water supply and had to wait for a local fire engine truck to bring us the water as we were far from civilization. In the meantime there was plenty of work for everyone and my crew mates work very well as a team. Everyone pitched together and the project was moving along.

The engine truck arrived and we could mix the remaining bags of cement. The other hole was dug a little too deep so with the ingenuity of one of the Captains and a few crew members, the hole was sured up. I was very impressed to see this project complete. In the morning when we arrived there was a broken gate with damaged barbed wire. Now only 5 hours later, there was a brand new gate with fully functional wire. The crew did an exceptional job and although today’s Captain did not display the high energy of the previous Captain, the job was still accomplished. I could see a difference in myself under this Captain as opposed to the other one. I cannot depend on others for motivation and ultimately it is up to me to maintain high energy with a positive attitude. I have the positive attitude but I need to work on the high energy daily.

I don’t know what has gotten into me lately, but all this week I can’t keep my eyes open when riding on the bus. After only a few minutes, I seem to fall off to sleep (maybe my normal sleeping pattern is catching up to me). Instead of fighting this like I have in the past, I made an impromptu pillow – my fire gear bottoms – and laid my head against the side of the bus. I did find myself drooling which was a bit embarrassing. I don’t have anything to be embarrassed about because my crew members don’t care, but I guess this was my natural reaction. Anyhow, I managed to get about an hour’s worth of nap while riding on the bus. I did feel better when I got back into camp.

Tonight I had a telephone call to my wife who was back in NJ after spending two weeks in Southern Cal. Wow, that was fast. It seems just like yesterday I was looking forward to their arrival. Now they are already back in NJ. I did speak with my wife who was at my mother’s house celebrating my Grandmother’s 85th birthday. Happy Birthday, Gram! My wife added another day to her trip returning Thursday instead of Wednesday. This was a great idea because they all needed some decompression time from our visit. My wife was finally able to relax and go out with her dear friend. I have to take this opportunity to thank our dear friends who have helped me out and my family tremendously. They not only provided a place to stay for my family while they were here, but my wife was able to spend some alone time with her friend. Thank you so much for all the love and support. Also, it was wonderful seeing them last week as they came for a visit.

My family had a great trip and now my children will be going to Jamaica with my family next week. My wife will stay back in NJ and hopefully get much needed rest while the children are away. It was great to hear my wife’s voice and I did ask her if she would come back out just herself for a family visit in October or November. Our 15th wedding anniversary is in October and it would be great to see her on or around our actual anniversary. Another of our dear friends offered my wife a free airline ticket so her cost would be minimized. I told my wife to think about it and she will bet me know. I certainly miss her tremendously and having her back out here in 3 or 4 months would be great. If not – so be it. I will see her on March 2, 2008 in civilian clothes and we may even head to Starbuck’s on our way home.