Saturday, July 28, 2007

Saturday Hike

I have heard about these Saturday hikes since I arrived here 2 months ago. I have been unable to go on any of these because I have had visits. However, today I was not expecting anyone as my dear friends from GA are coming tomorrow for the GA meeting. Essentially I had a free day and was looking forward to the hike which commenced a few minutes after breakfast. The hike was guided by one of the Fire Captains – a different one. Instead of leading the hike, the Captain let each of us go at our own pace. This is different from a regular crew hike and much like the nature hike my crew took a month and a half ago. Some of the guys wore their backpacks which I did not. I really didn’t want to go into the bus and retrieve it which is all the way in the back. Also, I was looking forward to a hike without a backpack because I had not been on this particular hike. I have been on part of it but the Captain reversed the direction for a higher degree of difficulty.

I started out slow as some of the guys went into a jog. I remained behind one of the guys I know who was wearing his backpack. About halfway through the hike, I decided to pass him because I was approaching part of the hike I was familiar with. I couldn’t catch up to one of the guys who went into a full jog but was the second to arrive at the bottom. Hiking is extremely different from running or jogging. Some of the inclines cause me to breathe very heavily. I rarely do this when I am running. Sometimes while hiking, I get too caught up in my heavy breathing and I must learn to relax. Also, some of the terrain is treacherous along with being hard on my quadriceps. It was a very good hike. Not quite one “hike of the century” but a good addition to my workout. Earlier this morning, I did an hour and 20 minutes on the Harvard Wall. I only did this amount because I knew I would be hiking. I am in no way the best hiker in camp, but I do okay for a 41-year-old career accountant who weighs 145 pounds.

I am glad I went on the hike because it was a great way to spend an hour on a Saturday morning. The views were magnificent and I was communing with nature. Upon my arrival back to camp, I needed a shower as I was very sweaty. I was required to wear my long pants and long shirt along with my boots on the hike. The temperature was in the upper 80’s so I did work-up a good sweat. After the shower I commenced my Saturday letter writing session. This is another great way to spend a Saturday. In between my letter writing, I called y wife once again to speak with my children. My children sounded great and they are living very normal lives. Both my daughter and son are very much looking forward to their Jamaican trip next week. They depart very early (5:00 am) Wednesday morning and will be there until Monday. I wished them a great time and I can’t wait to hear all about it. Just as when I spoke with my wife last night, after hearing my children’s voices, I missed them so much. I won’t see them until next March but I do know they are in great hands and will have an incredible time in NJ as they are surrounded by nothing but love and support. I am a blessed person and these blessings are absolutely wonderful.