Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Day in "Reverse"

Yesterday was a day in reverse. Since I did not work out in the morning I thought I would do something different. I went to work out in the evening which equaled to exactly 12 hours later then my normal morning arrival. In the past I have never cared much for working out in the evening but now I don’t have a great deal of incentive in getting home. It is just me as my family is in New Jersey and I am counting down their arrival. Normally I would want to get home and share the evening with them but now it is a bit different. Also; last night I had late dinner plans giving me a three hour window to workout.

I did workout and as I headed toward the gym I thought there could be a possibility of seeing someone who I used to work with and this someone is still somewhat upset about my actions. I do remember seeing this person before I was sentenced on two separate occasions but I was too timid to approach them. I know it is inevitable that I see this person and I was getting myself ready yesterday. As it turns out I did not see this person so I am guessing when I least expect it that is when I will see this person.

I got in a great workout and the gym is still not crowded even at this prime time hour. I think the area has been saturated with so many other health clubs that have taken away business. This was alright by me because there weren’t nearly as many people in the gym as I had thought which made it just like a normal morning workout. The odd timing had me exactly 12 hours behind schedule even as I completed the workout. I am fascinated by these odd things and it really doesn’t mean much but my day was definitely in reverse!!

After the workout I made my way over a restaurant owned by two dear friends. I have written about these friends in the past and my connection with them goes back over five years. The connection also ties in my previous job and something I did to help them when the restaurant got started. When I look back at our initial meeting over 5 years ago faith played a huge role. I just so happened to be in a place where I didn’t necessarily frequent and when they approach me about the equipment I followed through. I could tell back then that these were very good people and now five years later they are exceptional people.

We had a great dinner and their food is wonderful. This is the place where I have my free pizza deal for life but last night I was instructed to order something other then pizza. I obeyed the instruction and had angel hair spaghetti in a marinara; of course this was great. I still marvel at their breads (I am a huge bread eater because unlike most people I need carbohydrates since I burn so many of them) because they are unlike any other breads in the area. It is true back east bread and this recipe was brought in by a previous chef who grew up in Brooklyn, New York. This is also why their pizza is unlike any other pizza in the area because of the dough.

We talked for an hour and a half and as it turns out they have another friend who went through a very similar situation to mine. This other friend also spent time in prison for embezzling and was released last June. Unfortunately this other friend came out of prison a different (in a negative sense) person who is bitter to everything and everyone. My dear friends took this person in when they were released and housed them for three months but it sounds like this person was not very grateful and had to move out after the three months. Another connection is this person’s parole agent is the same parole agent I have. My friends got to know the parole agent in those three months and spoke fairly highly of the parole agent.

Most of the conversation centered on their other friend who seemed to have a difficult time adjusting to the free world. This friend was doing things they shouldn’t have been doing and I felt so sorry for this person because it appears being incarcerated did a number on them. I am eternally grateful for my incarceration because I had it much better then this person. I was able to stay at fire camp whereas this other person did make it to fire camp but after only one week got hurt and had to go back to the real prison.

This other person is female and things seem to be very different in the female prison as opposed to the male prison. Unlike in the men’s prison where the violent and non-violent offenders are segregated the women’s prison everyone is housed together. I never personally came across anyone serving a life sentence whereas this poor lady had a cellmate who was serving a life sentence. The only time I came across the lifers was when I delivered breakfast to their cellblock when I was at the reception center. I did not interact with them but that cellblock was so somber and serious just being there had an affect on me. I can’t imagine spending time with someone who is doing life so I do feel for this woman.

We talked; talked and talked some more then it was time to go. We agreed to meet in two weeks and this would be an every other Wednesday evening kind of thing. I really enjoyed the evening and they were giving me ideas as to what I should do with my career. Their idea did somewhat coincide with something that has been in my head for awhile. This idea has me consulting for the gaming industry in the area of fraudulent behavior.

I first thought of this when the investigators came to see me about my previous employer and I have already made a telephone call to one of them. I needed to call the other person and in true “The Secret” and “The Power of Intention” form this person actually telephoned me this afternoon. They want to get together and have lunch very soon and talk about matters at my previous employer. I have no idea what will come of this but the fact that I thought about something and that something came to me was the “Law of Attraction” at work. I had goose bumps listening to the message.

As I got home last night I started talking with my very good friend and we talked into the wee hours of the night. I wasn’t the least bit tired probably due to the late workout and being so happy I have so many incredible people in my life. I was up later then Saturday night when I got home after 1:00 am from the GA meeting. The time did not matter because I was so enjoying the conversation. I always seem to learn something from my friend and these are great conversations. Since I went to sleep so late (or so early depending on your point of view!) I couldn’t wake up early enough to work out so I slept in and worked out at lunchtime. I do like having a flexible schedule and since I have so much time to devote to my job the work does get done.