Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Positive Dynamics

I have come to realize that the dynamic of any group can be changed with either the addition or subtraction of only one person or both. This became very evident at last night’s Gamblers Anonymous meeting. The meeting commenced with the usual group; however; a few minutes into the meeting in step two members who were new to the group but not new to Gamblers Anonymous. These members were visiting the area for a few days and like any good GA member they know the value of a meeting no matter where they are located. I was very happy to see these visiting members and although I had never met them before I felt an instant connection when they walked in the door.

These members were close to me in age and time in the program. They certainly understood the program implicitly and their sharing was exceptional. GA in my opinion is an amazing program and I do know that many people don’t stay with the program for whatever reason. These two members did understand the value of the program and so do I. The people who fade away from the program may not go back to gambling (I do hope this is the case) but are missing something special.

Sometimes it gets tiresome when people go on and on about their day or week since their last meeting but this is the beauty of the program. Everyone gets their five minutes to say whatever is on their mind. I do my best to keep it on point as it associates with the particular meeting or whatever maybe bothering me that day. There isn’t a lot that bothers me lately (other than dubbing chip shots!!) in fact there isn’t much of anything that has bothered me since my release. This is why my focus is on the value of the GA program which was shared by these two visiting members last night.

The newcomers to the meetings do invoke these thoughts in me and I hope to instill a little of what I continue to learn through GA as those who have gone before me have instilled in me. Invariably I feel much better after the meeting then before the meeting and some meetings are better then others. Last night’s meeting was better then others and the last three meetings have been wonderful. The new member arrived on Sunday and Monday but unfortunately did not show last night. However; these two visiting members filled a great void with their experience, strength and hope. I may have felt a little tired before the meeting but I was invigorated as the meeting went on.

Yes, it was a great meeting last night and I do attribute this to the two visiting members which changed the dynamic of the meeting in a very positive aspect. Sometimes this isn’t always the case but the meaning of GA is helping others overcome a compulsive gambling addiction and this is exactly what transpired last night.

I spent the rest of last night talking with my good friend about a variety of subjects and I am so thankful for my living conditions. I am a very fortunate person to have a wonderful place to stay with wonderful friends. Without these wonderful friends my living conditions could not be as good. I have to admit that I do long for the return of my family but I am not fixated on this as I was a week ago.

I know the days, weeks and months will pass quick enough and it will be July before I know it. In July we will all be reunited and my daughter even asked what date we would be departing New Jersey in July. It appears if I am granted the permission that we will depart New Jersey on July 7th and hopefully our trip will be mapped out as we venture westward. I won’t have a replay of the trip we took two years ago where we completed it in three days. There isn’t any hurry and I do intend on stopping at a few historic sites along with a few amusement parks on the way. Hopefully when I am given permission to travel I will be given ample time to get across country so we won’t have to rush.

I was very tired last night and I actually adhered to the written training program this morning giving me the morning off from working out. Since I took the morning off I headed into the office much earlier then normal. Last night I was the last one to leave and this morning I was the first one to arrive. I have a fairly good handle on my duties and the financial situation really isn’t getting much better in fact it seems to be slipping. Like most things in life I have no idea what the future holds which is why for me it is best to live one day at a time. In this business it is almost better to live one moment at a time because it certainly is subject to change.

My attitude remains positive because I see no value in a negative attitude. Everything will continue to work itself out in that positive manner. I know a positive attitude is sometimes elusive for certain people especially those faced with adversity. However; I believe this is the best time to exude a positive attitude because this is exactly what helps me get through the day in a positive and purposeful manner. Life goes on no matter my attitude and choosing a positive attitude makes the world of difference for me.