Saturday, April 05, 2008

"Don't Dance so Fast"

A friend of mine just sent me an email titled “Don’t Dance so Fast”. This is an email chain created by a young girl who is battling cancer. The poem brought tears to my eyes and as I read it I have come to understand the very truth of each word over these past three years. Life is NOT a race and it is not meant to accumulate the most possessions, money or whatever other material item anyone can think of.

Life is a journey and in my opinion a beautiful journey that is meant to be enjoyed one moment at a time. It is so easy to put off today what can be done tomorrow; however; no matter how hard anyone tries tomorrow never arrives. Tomorrow is always a day away (please forgive me “Annie”!).

Over these past 3 years and especially in the time I was incarcerated I have developed a new found respect for life. Life is precious and it is promised to no one which is why I do my best to make the most of each day. Right now is all I have and those moments hopefully will lead into a lifetime of love, beauty and purpose.

I along with my Higher Power’s assistance choose my attitude each moment and fortunately over the past three years I have developed a positive outlook on these moments. Life is special and it is so easy to get caught up in the rat race but it can all be taken away at anytime. It is okay to stop and “smell the roses” and stare at the blue sky. The world is filled with marvels and I am blessed beyond belief with all the love in my life.

I can say that I have had more reflective moments in the time I was incarcerated than I have had in the past month. I need to be more reflective and enjoy each day as if it were the last day on earth. This may seem like a morbid thought but truly nothing in life is guaranteed. Forty-two years ago I was brought into this world and it has been an incredible forty-two years. I would like to look forward to the next forty-two years being even better but my focus must be on today. This focused does build up over time and in the short three years I have been in recovery this time has been amazing. I won’t dance so fast and I will enjoy every moment.

I needed to write those last few paragraphs after reading the poem because the poem touched me so very much. I sit here in a very special place even though my family is 3,000 miles away. I continue to have great days and today was one exception. It started last night when I was able to see two very dear friends that I haven’t seen since my release.

One dear friend that is associated with the GA Program and that even came to visit me when I was in prison. This wasn’t at the GA meeting/visits; this was when I was about 400 miles away at the “real” prison. This dear friend along with another dear friend made the long drive and we spent a fantastic day together. I will never forget that day as it is forever etched into my mind.

This dear friend was at my office yesterday afternoon and it was wonderful seeing them. We chatted for a little bit and then we said our “good-byes”. This dear friend has been dealing with so many health problems and I pray for them everyday. Yes, everything happens for a reason but sometimes it is difficult to focus on this aspect when so many things are happening. My dear friend’s attitude was incredible and we will see each other very soon.

After this meeting I went to pick up a pizza and saw another dear friend who I hadn’t seen since my release. I was greeted with a huge hug and a kiss. We couldn’t talk long because the restaurant was very busy but I was inviting back later on this week so we could talk without interruption. These are two of the many blessings in my life and I couldn’t help but to smile as I drove away. My life is amazing and I continue to be touched by so many amazing people.

This morning I decided to get some extra sleep before the GA meeting which meant I would exercise after the meeting. This worked out very well and I went to the meeting first. It was a great meeting with magnificent therapy. Every GA meeting I have attended I always feel better then when I first entered the room; however; some meetings are on a higher level then other meetings and this was the case this morning. The group wasn’t very big nor was it very small; the numbers of attendees seemed just right and everyone participated with meaningful therapy. GA is an incredible program and I am blessed to be associated.

After the meeting I went to the gym and had a great workout session. This was an unusual time for me to be at the gym but having the extra sleep certainly helped in getting a better workout. I even received a few pointers from another member as I was working out and I am all for getting pointers on exercises. My mind is open to suggestions and these were not only great suggestions they were great instructions. I also continued my running workout for the San Diego Rock n’ Roll marathon in June. I sort of messed up the schedule this week which means I have to run three consecutive days. Today was day two and the first five miles were difficult but the last three got better.

Here is the poem:

SLOW DANCE



Have
you ever watched kids



On a merry-go-round?



Or
listened to the rain



Slapping on the
ground?



Ever followed a butterfly's erratic
flight?



Or gazed at the sun into the fading
night?



You better slow down.



Don't dance so
fast.



Time is short.



The music won't
last.



Do you run through each day



On the
fly?


When you ask How are you?



Do you hear the
reply?



When the day is done



Do you lie in your
bed



With the next hundred chores



Running
through your head?



You'd better slow
down



Don't dance so fast.



Time is
short.



The music won't last



Ever told your
child,



We'll do it tomorrow?



And in your
haste,



Not see his

sorrow?



Ever lost
touch,



Let a good friendship die



Cause you
never had time



To call and say,'Hi'



You'd
better slow down.



Don't dance so fast.



Time is
short.



The music won't last.



When you run so
fast to get somewhere



You miss half the fun of getting
there.



When you worry and hurry through your
day,



It is like an unopened gift....



Thrown
away.



Life is not a race.


Do take it
slower



Hear the music



Before the song is
over.