Saturday, April 26, 2008

Plans Slightly Askew

Life is extremely interesting because the best laid plans and the best intentions may not exactly work out as I had envisioned. Last night was a perfect example of life offering a slight “bump” in the road. The housing situation for my family is becoming very clear and last night I intended to take the first step in this process. We have our “belongings” stored throughout the area with a majority of it in a storage facility but we are taking up two of our dear friends’ garages. I was hoping to consolidate this into one area starting this weekend but those plans will be deferred for at least another week if not two months. In my mind this was going to work out and it will but not at this very point.

I am exceedingly fortunate with the way events have transpired and my family will be back in a house when they rejoin me in two months. There needs to be some coordination on my part in those two months and some of that coordination is out of my control so I will do what I always do which is my very best. I am very excited as to how things are turning out and another piece of the puzzle is fitting together quite nicely.

Getting back to the slight bump and it is just a minor bump as it won’t affect anything in the long-term. I do need to move things from our friends’ garages because it is going on two years where our belongings have taken up their space. My friends have been beyond gracious and giving for which I am forever grateful. The time has come to move things and in the next two months everything will be consolidated into one location. My intention is to have everything moved in when my family arrives in July. This could cause a delay in my trip out east as the timing is a bit suspect. God love my wife because she doesn’t mind moving our belongings when she arrives but I need to have this accomplished prior to her arriving; it certainly is the least I can do.

I was speaking with my Mother as I was attempting to do this errand last night and it was as if she was with me since I spoke with her prior to the errand and after the errand. My Mother has an interesting attitude (I do mean this in a positive way) when it comes to certain subjects so she always makes me laugh. She did make me laugh last night and I seemed less stressed at the turn of events then she did.

Digressing a little; speaking of laughing I received probably the funniest email I have ever received. No, it wasn’t a joke email or one of those You Tube videos; it was from a very dear friend expressing themselves at a recent posting. I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair. This dear friend has such a way with words and I could feel every emotion emanating from my dear friend as I read the email. Thank you so very much!!!!

I got back to the house after not being very successful with the errand and talked with my dear friend as we watch some television. This was a decompression period for me and I did need it very much. I did put everything in perspective and realized everything is working out for the very best. After this I retired to my room where I watched an entire episode of “Dateline” about a woman wrongly accused of murdering her husband in San Diego. I did remember reading about this case while I was in prison. It was a lengthy episode and went through all facets of the case from indictment to incarceration to exoneration. I did have flashbacks as the reporter interviewed the woman from the County Jail through the plexi-glass via the two-way telephone. I remember that like it was yesterday and it is something I am so very happy that is behind me,

It was a television watching night for me because then I flipped over to 20/20 to watch “What would you do?” segment where the program provides a situation and watches what the general public does. The segment had to do with young children crying by themselves in public without a parent nearby. Most people just walked right on by oblivious to the child; in fact it took two days to finally find someone who would do anything. This is a sad commentary on our society because I believe so many people are afraid of helping out of fear out just out of ambivalence; I’m not sure which. I was one of those oblivious people not too long ago as I was just concerned with myself. Thankfully in recovery it about doing the right thing and hopefully if I were faced with a similar situation I would do the right thing.

I did fall asleep much faster then I anticipated because there were several thoughts in my head but some how I put these thoughts to rest. I woke up early and as opposed to yesterday I got out of bed and went to work out. This week my exercise schedule is flexible enough where I could work out both today and tomorrow without any ill effects. I got in a good workout and then it was off to the Saturday Morning GA meeting. I was responsible for bringing the materials to the meeting as the regular Secretary had other plans (incidentally those other plans were GA related). Bringing the materials was just like old times because over two years ago I was the Co-Secretary of this meeting and it was wonderful being involved. I arrived early and set up the room. I had help from a wonderful member who arrived earlier then me.

The meeting itself was smaller in terms of attendance then usual because some of our members had other plans this morning. However; the numbers may have been smaller but the therapy/sharing given was outstanding; it was an excellent meeting. I continue to be blessed by the GA Program. As the meeting concluded I realized my original plans of moving things had changed so I needed to find something else to do. The something else was going into the office where I actually had some work to do and instead of procrastinating I completed the work.

As I finished I spoke with my wife and daughter since they were having a busy day with softball practice, soccer games (my wife is the Coach of my daughter’s soccer team) and manicures. Yes, my ten year old daughter was getting a manicure in preparation for her Communion Ceremony tomorrow. My daughter has such a great attitude and she really could take or leave the manicure but she realizes this is important for my wife and mother-in-law so she goes along. I swear my daughter matures overnight from each telephone call and time does go by so fast.

I completed the conversation and was looking for something to do so I decided to go to the movies. There aren’t many movies I had any interest in seeing but one did catch my eye. It was the documentary by Ben Stein; “Expelled the Movie”. I knew my wife would never want to see this so I thought why not go to a matinee this afternoon. Apparently matinee prices have gone up as it cost 8 bucks; oh well this is what is happening all around with prices other then the housing prices!!

I bought my ticket and purchased the $6 popcorn and found my seat in the movie theater. The theater had about 12 people so I guess this isn’t a very popular movie or maybe it was just the time. The whole theme was about “Intelligent Design” in the Academic arena and how some professors were losing their jobs by merely mentioning “Intelligent Design”. I won’t go into the details because quite frankly the concept was interesting but I found myself falling asleep halfway into the movie. The points were well taken and Ben Stein certainly did not have a religious agenda. His agenda was well founded in freedom and if the movie is indeed accurate this is horrible depiction of our great country which was founded on freedom. In summary; the arguments made in the movie were compelling but not compelling enough for me to stop from falling asleep!