Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Court Today

Nothing happened in court the matter got postponed until May 10th. My attorney had an unfortunate event (a good friend of his passed away) happen and he had to go out of town for the past few days. My attorney decided to postpone the matter so we could speak, I guess that is a good thing. My wife attended the court session with me and I was very lucky to be the third person called because there were at least 50 other people waiting for their cases. The courtroom was packed with people waiting to hear their cases. I don't know what is going on in the world but there is plenty of work for the attorneys.

After court we met with a reporter from the Los Angeles Times who is interested in my story. We spent 3 1/2 hours at Mimi's Cafe having breakfast and talking. We talked mostly about my gambling problem and even my wife commented that she was hearing things for the first time. It is a wonder how tricky my mind works, it can repress anything. For the better part of 23 years I gambled off and on secretly. In the later years I didn't want anyone to know, this was a horrible way to live, it was a fantasy life and was no fun. Win or lose I couldn't share it with anyone, it was all just wasted time and now I will suffer the consequences.

I cannot dwell on the past I must concentrate on today. Today I had a GA meeting and at the meeting was a new member. It is so nice to say I have 50 days without making a bet. I don't know what happened to me during my "share" but I was rambling on about how wonderful GA is. I think I was trying to "save" the new member and it came out very disjointed. What I wanted to say is; GA works if you work it but I went on and on. It is very simple; in life you get what you put in and in GA you get what you put in. Life is not easy, recovering from any addiction is not easy but we all want the easy way. If it were easy, there would be no addictions and we would live in a Utopian society. Let's face it; life is not fair but we either choose to live a happy life or a miserable life. I choose happy. Sorry for the ramble!!

No comments: