Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Personality Traits

Here is a very recent article which links the personality traits of problem gamblers to alcohol, marijuana, and nicotine addicts. Click here I am not sure where to start without being flippant but no kidding. I am not a psychologists nor did I major in psychology in college but isn't an addict an addict no matter the vice? It is nice to see more studies being done on problem gambling because the research in this area is woeful at best. I think I fit the model because I was very nervous as a child, I even developed an ulcer when I was 9 years old. I am not so sure about the other personality traits such as feeling victimized or mistreated, I always felt I was treated very well by my parents and society. I do have a certain sense of impulsively to go along with my compulsive nature. I seem to have always done things to an extreme especially my gambling.

I have never thought of myself as a big risk taker but I need to rethink this thought. I went to a college 3,000 miles away from my home without even looking at it. I subsequently returned home after the first semester because I was home sick but decided to give it another try the following semester but it didn't work out. I also convinced my wife to quit our jobs and move to Las Vegas without having a job there. Maybe I am a risk taker?? I certainly risked everything with my behavior over the past 20 years so I guess I am a risk taker.

I think it is odd how some people get hooked on certain addictions. I have never taken an illegal drug in my life maybe because I was afraid I would become addicted but I think the real reason is I don't want to put those type of things in my body. I can't seem to drink to excess because I always stop when I am feeling full which usually means 3 0r 4 beers. I did get sick a few times from drinking but I wouldn't consider it even borderline alcoholic. Interesting fact; I have gotten sick 3 times in my life from drinking and 2 of those 3 times occurred in the last 4 months of last year. I think it was part of my fantasy life or another unanswered cry for help. Oh by the way the other time I got sick from drinking was 16 years ago when I turned 23.

Today I spoke with someone I hadn't spoken to since my situation became "official". He is what I would consider a good friend. I think I now have five good friends that are not associated with my family. Considering the damage I have done I am certainly blessed. I spoke to him for an hour and it was as if we spoke yesterday, I think this should be in the definition of a good friend. He lives 3,000 miles away and I haven't seen him in 8 years but this doesn't matter. I know one day we will see each other and maybe even have our children play together. The last time I saw him I was the best man in his wedding, the one and only time I have been a best man. He is a good soul.

No comments: