Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Exceedingly Normal Inmate

When I arrived here at Sierra Conservation Center over 3 months ago I was processed in the R & R area. R & R (I believe) represents reception because this is where all inmates who go in and out of the prisons are processed and receiving because this is where all the quarterly packages and book deliveries are received. Back three months ago when I came through the R & R area there was a clerk who looked exceedingly normal and I wondered (to myself) how this very normal man got in a place like this (much like everyone does with me). I was hoping to one day have an opportunity to speak with this inmate. Well that one day arrived yesterday morning. Actually I was introduced to this exceedingly normal inmate two months ago but we both made small talk. He was in the last PFT class and I got friendlier with him but we never spoke. I did find out he lives in the same area of Southern California that I used to live so we had a common bond. Yesterday while I was exercising on the “Harvard Wall” he started exercising next to me. Usually I am somewhat territorial of exercising on the Harvard Wall but I didn’t mind that he was a few feet away from me. In fact, I welcomed the diversion and even though we had not spoken much up to this point I really liked this inmate. I did an hour on the Harvard Wall and he was doing only 10 minutes and when his 10 minutes were up he stopped. When he stopped I made a sarcastic comment to him telling him he couldn’t stop because he was motivating me. He laughed and said no it was me who was motivating him.

From the first day I saw him I wanted to ask him what he was doing here and I finally asked him this question. As it turns out he is serving an 8 year sentence (which he will serve 4 and even less when he gets to fire camp in a few months) for a white collar crime. His crime was very similar almost eerily similar to a man I met prior to my arrival in prison who served 6 ½ years for his white collar crime in a Federal Prison. As I spoke with this normal inmate I realized my restitution amount of $500,000 is paltry compared to his restitution amount which is well into the millions. The more I spoke with him the more I realized he was certainly in the wrong place at the wrong time. The part I couldn’t figure out was how his case was not a federal case since it has to do with securities. He did tell me the Federal Government did attempt to prosecute him but dropped the case. However, the county in which the fraud was committed picked up the case and he received the 8 year sentence. Normally I would be skeptical of what a fellow inmate was telling me regarding their case but yesterday I believed every word. As it turns out his release date and my release date are only a few days apart. He was sentenced in July of 2004 while I was sentenced in July 2006. He has such a good attitude and is a very intelligent kind man. He is 10 years older than me and talking with him was a breath of fresh air. Finally as I discussed my case he did tell me about his gambling problem which made the dollar I squandered look like peanuts. All in all it was the best conversation I have had with an inmate since coming to prison. We shared so many similarities and we both feel we will be better people when our time has been served.

Prior to dinner something very strange happened during the 4:00 pm count. Each day at this time two C/O’s come through and count the bodies in the dorm. During this count the inmates must sit up which indicates we are not dead to the C/O’s, as they walk through. Yesterday afternoon I was sitting up writing as I normally do when the C/O’s walk through and I might add I was minding my own business. The C/O’s passed by my bunk and then stopped three steps away. As they stopped one of the them summoned my Bunkie and me into the television area. I was very perplexed but didn’t question the C/O. I have discovered it is much easier to do as I am told. I got off my bunk and sat in the television area with my Bunkie. When I got to the television area a few of my dorm mates asked what happened, I responded, “I have no idea”, then my Bunkie responded, “Oh, I farted when the C/O passed the bunk.” Now that mystery was solved and it really is not a good thing to fart when a C/O is standing next to your bunk, they do take offense to this. As retribution the C/O searched my bunkie’s locker and took away the cardboard shelves and his extra rolls of toilet paper. Thankfully they did not search my locker because they would have taken my stock of peanut butter and the extra banana. I guess the C/O did not immediately realize who passed wind but as soon as she saw the two if us she knew it was my bunkie. I did not like being implicated in this event; however, no harm was caused because the C/O used common sense.

The rest of the evening was my normal routine. However, last night was my one night of television as I watched “Heroes”. When it ended it was bedtime for me. Quiet time doesn’t officially start until 11:00 pm and I was surprised I am able to fall asleep before quiet time since it was somewhat noisy. I must have been tired last night because I only got up once during the night and 5:30 am came very fast.

There was an unlock for early breakfast and we were able to get an early start on the PFT class. I did miss the altercation (fight) which happened 5 minutes after I departed the dining hall. Yes, fights certainly happen but my timing was very good as I was already outside on the basketball court waiting for the PFT class to start. Even though I was outside well away from the fight, the alarm sounded and everyone outside had to drop down on their stomachs. It took only a few minutes to get the fight under control and the C/O’s led the two inmates who were involved out of the dining hall. Thankfully these two were of the same race because when they aren’t it gets very sticky. It was an exciting way to start the day.

No comments: