Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Governor Schwarzengger

It was once again back out into the yard for the afternoon PFT Plus session where the regular PFT class joined in. As was the case on Monday there were over 100 participants in the PFT Plus class. My job is titled PFT Instructor which means I “instruct” inmates who participate in the PFT and PFT Plus classes. Instructing can be performed in many ways such as completing the exercises alongside the participants. However, the most effective way to instruct is to not actually do the exercises rather watch the students perform the specific exercise and teach them the finer points. Many of my fellow instructors prefer doing the exercises so they can work out, I too am guilty of this on many occasions. However, as I have gained more experience and seniority I find it necessary to instruct on a one to one basis rather then exercising during the class. Also, it is pertinent that there are a few of the instructors walking around during the class doing the one to one instructing. The lead instructor always works out during the PFT Plus classes and many of the regular instructors follow his example. On the flip side to this I understand that there needs to be instructors truly instructing and when I see that no one appears to be doing this I fill the gap. I would certainly rather exercise, but that is not my job. When I exercise during the classes I am being selfish and that is not what the job is about nor is my life about. Selfishness brought me to this place and it won’t leave with me. I know I walked through the prison gates alone and I will walk out alone. I also understand I can only address myself in terms of my recovery. However; life is not about me it is about family, friends, and people. I don’t want to short-change anyone so I am here to help others get through the PFT class.

Yesterday afternoon I walked around the class with one other instructor and instructed the students. The inmates in the class do follow instruction and certainly want to pass the class in order to get to fire camp. Each inmate may have their own ideas about getting to a fire camp, I want to get to a fire camp because it brings me that much closer to my family and I believe I can be a productive member of society while there. It is a shame that many inmates have a negative type of motivation in order to reach fire camp because it is truly a golden opportunity. The California Prison System is much maligned for its severe overcrowding problems; however, the fire camp program maybe one of the best programs in the county afforded to prisoners and I for one feel very fortunate being placed in this program. When I finally arrive at fire camp I will be able to tell my children that their father is a firefighter for the California Department of Forestry not an inmate in the California Department of Corrections. It is very unfortunate this entire situation is being separated from my wife and children, however; I am making the best of it in everyway possible. I never considered being a firefighter even when my Dad (a former firefighter) asked me to take the firefighter’s examination 20 plus years ago but here I sit feeling very excited about becoming one. Life if filled with twists, turns, ups and downs which makes it extremely fascinating.

The PFT Plus class ended and so did my day. Now it was time for my daily trek to the pill call line. There are always some very interesting characters in this line and yesterday there was an inmate who recently had his jaw wired shut. He was in line behind me and he too was there to pick up a protein drink. In fact all of his food has been liquefied. He was carrying his lunch of liquefied bologna which he showed me. Surprisingly he was interested to see how it tastes. I was instantly horrified when I saw the liquid bologna, I guess to each his own! Incidentally this inmates jaw was wired shut do to an unfortunate accident not an act of malice which is good.

My afternoon ritual was in full force yesterday as I did laundry, shaved, showered and wrote. As I was writing, Governor Schwarzenegger was delivering the State of the State address for California and many of my dorm mates were watching. I was summoned to watch it as well. Many of my dorm mates thought the Governor was going to mention the prison system. I have detailed all the rumors which fly around here dealing with the Federal government, C/O Union, Governor Schwarzenegger and prison overcrowding. I had my doubts that he would mention anything regarding prisons. My thought process was as an average taxpayer who could care less about prisons. Now of course my thought process has changed 180 degrees and I am very interested about prison overcrowding reform because I am part of the system. A few minutes prior to the speech I tried to convey to my dormitory to not be surprised if the Governor says nothing about prison because the average taxpayer doesn’t care what happens in these four walls and the average taxpayer/voter makes up the majority of the population. I sounded fairly intelligent (I am not sure how?) when I said this but five minutes into the speech Governor Schwarzenegger did mention prison reform. It was typical political speech because he said a great deal but mentioned no specifics. Apparently on December 21st the Governor and a few State Assembly people introduced legislation regarding prison and judicial reform. I have no idea what lies in the substance of this legislation because the Governor mentioned no specifics. He did use the words “crisis”, “dangerous”, and “criminals” during his speech. He also mentioned building more prisons; however, fell short on how the current prison overcrowding crisis will be remedied. His plan is a long-term plan and does make sense; however, according to the Federal Courts the Governor does not have the luxury of time in order to properly address the prison overcrowding. When the Governor finished speaking about prisons he went on to another topic and the channel was quickly changed. There was much talk and speculation regarding the Governor’s speech and I even added my two cents. My feeling is the Governor will back whatever is in the piece of legislation he spoke about as a long-term solution and the Federal Court will decide what to do with the 73,000 inmates who make-up the overcrowding prison population. I told my dorm mates no politician who has high political aspiration (such as Governor Schwarzenegger) wants to be the one who releases 73,000 (no matter their crimes) back into society prior to their sentences being served. This is just not sound political strategy. The Federal Courts will decided come June and whether they grant early releases is a mystery to me. So for now I told my dorm mates it is “normal program” and just concentrate on your release dates as it stands now. This is exactly what I am doing. Once I arrive at fire camp I will be given a new release date (most likely sometime in February of next year) and will look forward to that day. If the Courts decide to grant early releases (with no strings attached) prior to my release date great if not so be it. I do know my term will end and whenever it ends I will be reunited with my family which is all that matters to me.

The morning was more of the same as the rest of this week. Early breakfast was the one of the week where I received cold instead of hot cereal which was corn flakes. I do have a sneaking suspicion that by the time I am released I will have a new found appreciation for the taste of food. Then it was on to start the PFT class. I did get to lead the power walk and my pace was perfect. What a difference a month makes and it all comes down to relaxing. The class went well but I found myself getting a little agitated at one of the instructors because he wasn’t doing very much and I was covering for him. I certainly don’t get overly excited or confrontational, I did find a way for it to work and it did. However; it was some what frustrating which is why I needed to let it go. I did take the day off from any additional running because I should cover another 5 miles walking tonight. Finally my face has never been so tan in my life. I do have a typical “farmers tan” but at least I look healthy and most importantly I feel healthy. Once again this bad situation is working out for the best.

No comments: