Monday, January 29, 2007

The Week Begins

I felt very good after speaking with my children yesterday morning and I need to speak with them more often. I need to reiterate how wonderful my family truly is to me. Based on my previous action my wife had every right to not speak with me; however; she has been unbelievable not only over these past 6 months but the almost 2 years which has passed since my criminal activity surfaced. I had an incredible life which I took for granted. I will and am doing everything in my power to never take anything for granted ever again. I have three (my wife, daughter, and son) incredible people in my life and I will enjoy every moment I spend with them. The telephone call made my day and as I got off the phone it started to rain. The rain could not dampen my spirits as they were uplifted by my children. I certainly did wrong and rightfully so I am being punished; however; there is so much good which has come out of my situation and I am forever grateful.

As the rain fell I walked back to my dorm since it was just about yard recall time. My friend walked with me and we chatted a bit. We made plans to walk in the evening as long as he rain had stopped by then. The yard was closed and I headed into my dorm. Yesterday being Sunday meant I had all afternoon to myself. My plans were very simple; I planned on making lunch, doing laundry, shaving and showering.

When I finished lunch I started my writing and took a few hours to finish the latest installment of the blog. I took my time writing because I had all afternoon. I just needed to finish by evening yard at 7:00 pm. I finished well in advance of this and went back to reading. I passed on the ham/turkey dinner. Also, the sides were yams and green beans. There was no need for me to go to the dining hall when I could stay back in the dorm and make rice and beans, however; this dinner is not exactly filing and I find myself hungry an hour later. This was the case last night but I know there would be an opportunity in the evening yard to pick up the protein drinks.

I was anxiously waiting the evening yard to open so I could place a telephone call to my mother. I had secured a 7:15 pm telephone sign-up which is the worst time since the evening yard sometimes opens after this time. I did reach the telephone at 7:15 pm but they were not turned on by the C/O until 7:20 pm. This meant instead of having 15 minutes on the telephone I only had 10 minutes as the times are given out every 15 minutes starting with 7:15 pm. I did connect with my mother and I could hear the disappointment in my mother’s voice as I told her I had to go because the next person needed the telephone. We really didn’t get to talk about much but as always it was good to hear her voice. We did talk about my daughter and what she knows about where I am. My daughter believes I am away at camp (not prison) and will return next year. In a way this is true as I am at a camp learning to become a wild fire firefighter and this summer when my family comes to visit me I will be at an actual fire camp. Camp has a much nicer ring to it than prison. When I do get back to my family I will explain in full to both my daughter and son as to why and where I was for this time. I prefer no secrets and believe the truth is the best way to go.

When I hung-up with my mother I too was disappointed. I wanted to speak with her much longer but had to go. I was somewhat depressed as I met up with my friend and walked. He noticed something was wrong and asked me about it. I did tell him what was the matter and it was good to talk with someone. Other than this friend I have no one else here to speak with and I talked about this last night. He said that same thing and told me I was the only other inmate he could talk with. Once again I was happy for these walks and talks because I did feel better. As we walked I noticed the pill call line was very small so I went to get the protein drinks.

Last night I was able to secure a much better telephone time slot on Tuesday at 7:45 pm. This is a very good time because I don’t have to worry about the yard opening on time; I just have to worry about the yard opening at all! I plan on calling my wife with this telephone time since I didn’t speak with her on Sunday. Once the sign up was over I walked some more with my friend and we talked some more. These evening yards do pass by very quickly and I am happy to have found a friend in a very unlikely place. The yard closed and it was back to the dorm where I read until rendering to sleep.

Today was Day 4 and there isn’t any class this Thursday since it is the 1st of the month. Class never convenes on the 1st which is why the test has been pushed back one day until next Tuesday. I am anxiously waiting test day so I can cross out one of the “to do” items I need in order to get to fire camp. I am certainly not taking the test for granted especially after seeing one of the previous instructors fail. I will do my best next Tuesday and concentrate throughout the process. I certainly need to pass and I will.

No comments: