Friday, December 09, 2005

Al Roker Investigates

Today I drove back from Las Vegas and yes, I am still gamble free for the last nine months and 11 days!! Last night I had dinner by myself at a fabulous Italian Restaurant in the Rio Hotel. They have the best eggplant parmigiana I have ever eaten. I was at this same restaurant almost one year ago with a former colleague of mine and I actually sat at the same table. The fact that I can remember what table I sat at last year is remarkable because my mind was going crazy at this time last year. I think the fact that the eggplant was so good made me remember the place very well. I really don't make a big point out of food because there is only so much I eat or should I say there is very LITTLE I eat. So when some food stands out which is rare I usually remember it. The eggplant was as I remembered it and I ate alone with my book. It really was an enjoyable evening. I headed back to my room where I read a little more and fell asleep.

I woke up this morning; worked out and got in my car to come back to Southern California. All the while I kept thinking about the Al Roker Investigates; Kids, Cards and Dice show. I had received a review from my Mother and my Wife. Both of them said it was well done but I couldn't wait to see it with my own eyes.

On my way home I stopped at my son's school and picked him up which is always great to see my children. They are so precious and mean the world to me. His little blue eyes lit up when he saw me coming towards him. He ran toward me yelling; "DADDY, DADDY, DADDY!!" and I lifted him up in the air and gave him a big kiss. He is a wonderful child.

We got home and shortly thereafter my daughter and my wife arrived home. My daughter ran over to me and I lifted her up and gave her a big hug and a kiss. I greeted my wife with a kiss and a hug as well.

By this time I really wanted to watch the program. We sent the children in the backyard to play and my wife and I sat down to watch the show. I thought I may have a hard time watching myself on television and at first I didn't even realize it was me. After a few minutes I got comfortable and couldn't believe how BIG my nose is!! I guess I knew my nose was large but looking at it on television really makes it look big. Sorry for the digression; back to the show. I thought the producers did a remarkable job of putting together a story of the two young "would be" poker players and tying everything around these two kids.

I really couldn't have asked for anything better; I was very pleased. My only negative comment is I thought they should have displayed a helpline telephone number for anyone who is seeking assistance with their gambling problem. Here are a few in case someone is seeking help with their gambling problem; 1-888-LAST-BET and 1-800-522-4700. The first telephone number is run by Arnie and Sheila Wexler two of the pioneers in compulsive gambling treatment and the second is the telephone number for the National Council on Problem Gambling Helpline; this will put you in touch with a local affiliate. Also; those seeking treatment can go to the Gamblers Anonymous website for a list of meetings in your area.

I did speak with the producer and he asked what I thought about the program. I told him he did a remarkable job and I thanked him for all of his hard work. I did mention about the helpline and he did say he would say something to Court TV to put up a telephone number the next time it airs.

Yes, what I have done is horrible but I cannot change the past events. I can only move forward and live a life of honesty, openness and with a purpose. I know things happen for a reason and hopefully there was one person who saw the program last night and it made them seek assistance for their gambling problem. I can't change my past but hopefully with awareness of what this disease can do to people such as myself it may prevent someone from doing the same.

No comments: