Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Unforeseen

We were preparing to leave so we can visit our friends in Las Vegas when the telephone rang. It was an unforeseen telephone call and the results of the call were unexpected as well. I will not go into to detail because so many things still need to be sorted out but I must say there are some people in my life that are truly magnificent. I am not sure; check that; I am sure I do NOT deserve these people based on the things that I have done yet they still continue to amaze.

How is it that I could do the things that I have done and still have people stand with me every step of the way? These people must see something in myself that I haven't seen but I will make all of them proud (finally). All of the things I am accused of doing were the direct result of my compulsive gambling addiction. Some find this hard to believe and yet there are others who do not find this hard to believe. I cannot go back and erase history I can only move forward with a new found resolve. In this resolve comes positive not negative. The circle of positive energy that surrounds me is enormous and no matter what happens in my future I know things are working out for the best.

We finally left the house about an hour and half late but we were going to take our time anyhow. We drove exactly 15 miles in 12 minutes and the next 60 miles took 2 hours! Normally the trip to our friends house in Las Vegas would take about 4 hours and 15 minutes; it took 6 hours today. No there weren't any accidents just a lot of people on the road. In fact we listened to a traffic report and the traffic reporter said, "no, there are no accidents just excessive holiday traffic". I guess there are a great many people who have off from work this week and all of them were on the same freeway as we were this afternoon!!

Six hours in a car with a four year old boy and a seven year old girl is not the most productive way to spend an afternoon but they did their best. They were doing great then the DVD player decided to stop working which was our only saving grace and this was at the three hour mark. We persevered for the next three hours and needless to say the kids were a little riled up when we got to our friends house.

We were able to have some dinner and go to a place to view Christmas decorations. There were rides for the kids and some very nice decorations. Having spent 8 years living in Las Vegas my wife and I would make an annual trip to this spot every year during the holidays. It has grown up so much since we first starting going there 12 years ago. It was a very nice evening and all of the proceeds went to aid under privileged children.

We chatted with our friends and the kids played so nicely. There are some people who I can count on no matter the circumstance and these two friends we went to visit are two of these people. They are one of the smartest, warmest and compassionate people I have ever met and I am so blessed to call them friends.

No comments: