Saturday, December 17, 2005

Christmas Party

Tonight my wife and I held our annual Christmas Party like we have done for the past 5 years. (I must put a disclaimer because it really is my wife who hosts the Christmas Party and I do what she tells me to do!!) We had a great time and although only one couple (very dear friends) showed up we had a wonderful time. My wife was uncertain whether or not to have this party due to circumstances created by me but she went ahead and invited a few couples over for a Christmas Party. We received a few telephone calls this evening informing us that two couples were unable to make the party and this made my wife very upset. I don't believe it was intentional that these two couples had to cancel at the last minute. Things had come up that were out their control and they had the decency to call and cancel.

I know my wife was very disappointed because we have had this small Christmas Party for the past five years and the most couples we have had was five. We never had a big party just our close and personal friends. This year turned out unlike any other year but even though we had only one couple show up we all had a great time anyway. We had some nice hors de vours, played some games and had great conversation. We don't need ice sculptures to have a good time. We only need good friends and it doesn't matter how many people attend. We are capable of having a good time no matter what the circumstances.

The couple who attended are fantastic people and I am so very happy to have gotten to know them this past year. This was the first time for them at our Christmas Party and we had a blast. It is so nice to laugh, listen and enjoy an evening. These are good people and I am blessed to be part of their lives. What started out as a potential disaster actually ended up being a magnificent evening. I thank them for everything they have done for my family and for sharing this evening.
On a more somber note; I met with my attorney the other day and we were going over some case matters when he told me about a recent client of his. This client is an eighteen year old High School Senior who got into trouble stealing things out of people's cars that were parked in the High School parking lot. The reason why this eighteen year old stole from these cars was to finance his on-line poker addiction. It was just as I suspected; that second year student from Lehigh University in Pennsylvania is NOT the only young person to get into trouble due to their on-line gambling addiction. I would imagine this is happening more and more all across the United States.

Yes, gambling for most people can be harmless but there are others (like myself) where gambling can be very harmful. I am not sure how to convey this addiction to the NORMAL people out there; the question inevitably comes why can't you just stop gambling? I wish I could answer that question because for so many years I could not stop because I thought I could CONTROL myself. The fact of the matter is I could NOT control myself and it lead to making very bad decisions. Is there anything I can do to warn other people about this addiction? Again, I don't know but if there is ONE person who takes the time to HONESTLY look at their gambling and get help I know I have made a difference. I am not looking to save the world or abolish gambling but I am going to tell my story to anyone who would listen.

The things I have gone through and others who share this compulsive gambling addiction have gone through should not be experienced by anyone. Life is meant to be lived in honesty and with a purpose not with deceit and lies. By removing gambling from my daily life my life has become so much better and I have become a better person. I pray to God each and every day to have the strength to get through the day without placing a wager and at the end of the day I thank God for giving me that strength to NOT place that wager. Tomorrow I will do the same thing all over again.

No comments: