Sunday, December 18, 2005

Happy Birthday!!!

Today was my lovely wife's birthday. Where would I be without this woman? I don't like to think of the alternative but the truth of the matter is I would be LOST. She is an amazing woman to say the least. We have known each other for 23 years; we have two fantastic children and share a remarkable love for one another. I took so much for granted over the past few years and I am fortunate to have this lovely woman stand by my side through all of the crap I have put her and the children through. I love this woman more than anything in the world.

I made my wife French Toast for breakfast; cleaned the dishes and wished her a good afternoon as she and her friend went to lunch and a movie. While my wife was out this afternoon I took the children to the grocery store so we could get the ingredients for her birthday cake and birthday dinner. I made my wife her favorite cake (Angel Food) and her favorite dinner (shrimp scampi). No, I am not that well versed at baking so I opted for the Angel Food cake mix but I did have to use the mixer!!!

I am not one for desserts but I wanted to make my wife happy. I know this year has been tough (to say the least) and who knows how next year is going to turn out but my wife deserved a day to herself. She didn't have to lift a finger all day because I did all of the cooking and cleaning. Not a big deal but I hope it made her happy.

I baked the Angel Food Cake to what I thought was perfection; however; I didn't let it cool long enough before removing it from the cake tin. The Angel Food Cake kind of dropped a few inches and instead of having a rich looking cake it was a drooping looking cake. Even though I got a little upset when my wife saw the cake and made a slight face and asked if it was cooked enough, I somewhat recovered my composure and started on the shrimp scampi.

I guess there are some dishes that appear very complicated to prepare; shrimp scampi is not one of them!! It is very easy and took very little time. Heat some olive oil, add some garlic, saute, add some white wine, add the shrimp and add some butter and you have a shrimp scampi dinner. Also boil water for the angel hair pasta and serve the shrimp scampi over the angel hair pasta. Fifteen minutes and she had a very nice dinner. She did enjoy it even though I kept telling her she didn't like it!!! She did comment at the end of the meal that it was very good. I am sure it wasn't as good as her mother's shrimp scampi but I think the meal satisfied her a little bit.

After dinner my wife and children gathered around the angel food cake as we sang happy birthday. She blew out the candles and she and my son had a piece of cake. Despite its appearance she did eat her entire slice as did my son. All in all I think it was a very successful day.

One last point; as my wife was asking me about the preparation of the Angel Food Cake she did comment that I made this cake for her two years ago. It looks like there is another thing I could not remember in my memory bank. I wonder how many more surprises I will get in the coming months?? I guess all of the lying, deceiving and deceit does take its toll on the memory bank because I thought I could remember most things but in truth I was very selective with my memory. I don't have to do this anymore because the lying, deceiving, cheating, and deceit are a thing of the past. I only have to remember the truth and the truth is very easy to remember because it is the only thing on my mind.

No comments: