Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Court Session

This morning I received the phone call from my attorney's office informing my wife and me to go down to the courthouse. The call came at 10:15 am and we got to the courthouse at 10:30 am. As we made our way into the courthouse I had noticed the television truck again but had already known that the local television station would be in the courtroom. I had read it on my case history yesterday and also my attorney's office had informed me as well. My wife was not too happy about the television crew (one camera man and one woman reporter) but I informed her all of this is out of my hands and we are dealing with the situation the best we can.

We entered the courtroom and saw the television camera which made a point to capture me as I was sitting down. The Deputy District Attorney and the Judge were already in the courtroom but my attorney was not. As we sat down I noticed there was another proceeding taking place and knew it was going to take some time. This other proceeding had witnesses and the Judge was deciding if there was enough information to hold this proceeding over for trial.

At about 11:00 am my attorney entered the courtroom and went over to speak with the Deputy District Attorney; they spoke for the next fifteen minutes and as the Judge wrapped up the previous case he called my attorney and the Deputy District Attorney into his chambers. We were told by the bailiff to vacate the courtroom because the session was in recess. I knew that the Judge has lunch from noon to one thirty so our chances of being heard before lunch looked bleak. I was correct because my attorney emerged from the Judge's chambers right before noon and told me we would be coming back after lunch. He also told me what was going on.

Yes, something was actually happening and my attorney did get the Judge to agree to what we were speaking about. This may seem cryptic and it is for a reason and the only thing I can say is my attorney got the Judge to agree to a term maximum before proceeding any further. This term maximum is exactly what my attorney was going for and I am very happy to know my maximum exposure. Also while they were in the Judge's chambers there were financial matters discussed and all I can say is I don't understand. I don't understand because my attorney presented some things 7 months ago and I guess because I came up with these proposals by myself the Assistant District Attorney is very leery and the Judge was still giving the ADA some latitude on this proposal.

However; the Judge did state some things in the courtroom which surprised me and looks to be leaning more and more to my proposal as opposed to the Assistant District Attorney's proposal. I am getting ahead of myself a bit. After lunch we went back to the courtroom and my case was the first one called. The Judge stated those things I had previously mentioned and I think my wife was more relieved than me. I guess I was expecting the worst but may have been hoping too much for the best. I did not get the best proposal from the Judge but I certainly did not get the worst. In fact I got exactly what my attorney and I had discussed which is a very good thing.

I have to go back next week to firm up some things and get the Judge's decision on a proposal and I will enter a final plea. I am entering a final plea because of what the Judge had to say today. After I enter this plea it looks like there will be a few more months where my attorney and I will have to get to the bottom of certain issues but once this is finalized I will have my sentencing hearing. This most likely will occur in April and then it will be over. When the Judge hands down the final sentence I will be relieved but up until that time I will keep reciting the serenity prayer; "God grant me the SERENITY to accept the things I CANNOT change; COURAGE to change the things I can; and WISDOM to know the difference."

No comments: