Friday, January 13, 2006

Terrible Consequences

In my quest to learn each and every day I came across a few stories and would like to share them; the first one is fairly terrible and although I am not sure it had to do with compulsive gambling the outcome was horrible. The story is about an accountant who was accused of embezzling from a township in Ohio and the outcome was terrible.

I can relate to some of the feelings of hopelessness and helplessness but thank God I found Gamblers Anonymous ten and half months ago. Not only has GA helped with my gambling addiction they have helped discover many character defects which I am working on each and every day. Most importantly the Program has instilled in me "serenity"; there are so many things I can change but there are many things I cannot and one of them is the past. I can only learn from my past; make amends for those misdeeds and move forward in a positive manner. Yes, sometimes it seems very bleak but my family is most important to me and I don't want to leave them permanently; I want to live life.

The second article I found was on the state of the prison system in California. The reason I was researching this subject because in the next few years I want to know how I will be spending my days. This was a suggestion by my therapist and he told me to find out everything you can about the prisons so I would be mentally prepared when the day comes. This particular article does not speak highly of the prison system in California. There are some striking quotes; "There's California and then there's the rest of the country," said Michael Jacobson, the director of the Vera Institute of Justice in New York and the former head of New York City's jail system. "California has used policies that show no evidence of effectiveness; all they show is high cost," said Jeremy Travis, president of the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City. "The state is the poster child for corrections policies that have no benefit to public safety.''

I always thought of California as a progressive state which leads the way in cutting edge policies and technology. California maybe home to Silicon Valley but it penal system appears to need an overhaul when a state like Louisiana (no offense to those who reside in Louisiana but I never thought of Louisiana as a cutting edge state when it comes to the penal system) is far ahead in how they treat criminals in their state.

Here is an article from the Attorney General of Louisiana and how they treat compulsive gamblers who commit crimes. This is their answer to the overcrowding in the prison system; give people tools to learn from their mistakes so not to repeat those mistakes. This seems like a very humane way to treat people and it looks to be working very well.

Finally I would like to touch on the Judge from Vermont who sentenced a child rapist to 60-days in prison. Yes, you read that correctly 60-days and no it was not a one time incident it happened over 4 years. First I must say the sentence does seem very lite and it may have been a little stricter. I came across the Judge's comments in regards to the sentencing; here are some of them; "The one message I want to get through is that anger doesn't solve anything. It just corrodes your soul,. The judge said that when he began 25 years ago, he handed down tough sentences but now believes "it accomplishes nothing of value." "It doesn't make anything better; it costs us a lot of money; we create a lot of expectation, and we feed on anger." Here is the final sentence from the Judge; Cashman, therefore, issued a 60-day sentence and ordered Hulett to complete sex-offender treatment when he gets out or face a possible life sentence. You can read the entire article here.

Again although the sentence could have been more strict this Judge has some very valid points. Anger does NOT solve anything in fact it makes matter worse. Does revenge have a purpose? I don't believe it does because what really does revenge solve? Because you get back at someone for something they did do you feel better? In the big picture how does society benefit for these actions? Is our prison system failing and should there be some new programs? It seems to me some states other than the state of California are trying some different things because the old way does not work. I believe the cost to house one inmate in the California Prison System is $60,000; how much does it cost to rehabilitate that prisoner? I would guess it can be much less than $60,000 a year.

I know there are some people that want to make an example of me for what I did and I can't blame or fault them for their views because it is their views. I believe I am a good person with an illness and I am finally doing something about this illness. I do know it is a lifetime illness and I must continue to do the things I have done in the past ten months each and every day in order to continue to live this positive life with a clear positive purpose. Am I a threat to society? The Judge will have the final say in this matter. I do know I have so much support from so many fabulous people that I know no matter what happens everything will work out for the best.

No comments: