Wednesday, January 18, 2006

What is Compulsive Gambling?

I have been in the Gamblers Anonymous Program for 324 days and have attended many meetings. I am by no means an expert on compulsive gambling nor do I pretend to have depth of knowledge on this subject. What I can say without certainty is I am and will always be a compulsive gambler. Also, in the many meetings I have attended and the many people I have spoken to; there really is a misunderstanding or a basic unawareness of this problem that is caused by gambling excessively. Someone at last night's meeting was saying to me that their spouse is having a very hard time understanding this problem. On one of the internet's message boards was a message posted from a daughter regarding their mother's compulsive gambling behavior and how she was mad at her mother for this behavior.

I would like to take the time and try to explain what exactly compulsive gambling is and hopefully convey to those "normal" people who say "why can't you just stop?" we compulsive gamblers are unable to stop because we have an illness which can never be cured but can be arrested, don't hate the person hate the illness and please try to get the compulsive gambler help. However; if the compulsive gambler is unwilling to get help there is nothing anyone can do. The compulsive gambler has to be admit to the themselves that they are powerless over gambling and their lives have become unmanageable. Until the compulsive gambler admits this there is no help that will work and there are some dire consequences; prison, insanity or death.

The American Psychiatric Association Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (312.31) defines pathological gambling as;

A. Persistent and recurrent maladaptive gambling behavior as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) is preoccupied with gambling (e.g., preoccupied with reliving past gambling experiences, handicapping or planning the next venture, or thinking of ways to get money with which to gamble)
(2) needs to gamble with increasing amounts of money in order to achieve the desired excitement
(3) has repeated unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back, or stop gambling
(4) is restless or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop gambling
(5) gambles as a way of escaping from problems or of relieving a dysphoric mood (e.g., feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety, depression)
(6) after losing money gambling, often returns another day to get even ("chasing" one's losses)
(7) lies to family members, therapist, or others to conceal the extent of involvement with gambling
(8) has committed illegal acts such as forgery, fraud, theft, or embezzlement to finance gambling
(9) has jeopardized or lost a significant relationship, job, or educational or career opportunity because of gambling
(10) relies on others to provide money to relieve a desperate financial situation caused by gambling

B. The gambling behavior is not better accounted for by a Manic Episode.

This definition was developed in 1994 and as gambling venues have EXPLODED over the past 12 years I would venture to guess the American Psychiatry Association may want to re-look at this definition for an updated view. It seems to me that more and more people become addicted to gambling at a much faster rate than ever before. My own experience developed over the past twenty plus years even though I was given two warning signs over that period of time which I ignored. Getting back to more and more people becoming addicted faster and faster tells me there is something in the brain chemistry of us compulsive gamblers and there have been a few studies which point this out. In fact the new criteria for the American Psychiatry Associate DSM-V is looking into genetic factors and brain imaging.

I know for myself there is a feeling I get when I gamble that is unlike any other and I am so happy that I don't have to experience this feeling again. It is hard for a "normal" person to understand but we compulsive gamblers have an illness when it comes to gambling and no matter how much we win or lose it is NEVER enough. I know for myself it was never about winning but staying in action and I did a lot of bad things to stay in action. I will suffer some dire consequences for those bad things but today is so much better than it was one year ago because I am living honestly and openly for the first time in a very long time.

Wrapping things up for those of you who just don't understand let me put it to you this way; have you ever had the need to do something, anything and you wouldn't stop until you did that something? This is how we compulsive gamblers feel about gambling each time we gamble because we will do anything and everything to make that next bet and won't stop no matter the consequences.

I am not sure if this sheds any light for those of you who don't understand the hold gambling has on some people but please keep in mind it is an illness like an alcoholic or drug addict and we gamblers need help to arrest this illness. I thank God each and every day I found the help to arrest my illness because life has a new purpose and this purpose will be lived one day at a time.

No comments: