Tuesday, January 03, 2006

First Tuesday

For the past six months the first Tuesday of every month marked the "business" session of Gamblers Anonymous where all of the Secretary's, Trustees, and Chair People get together to discuss the comings and goings of Gamblers Anonymous in our county. Today was my last "official" trip to this meeting because my term as co-secretary of the Saturday morning meeting has come to an end. This rotates every six months and I can't believe how the past six months have flown by.

We had a large group from our meetings attend because this is where the outgoing secretary's introduce the incoming secretary's. We have four meetings a week in our area (I attend three of these meetings each and every week and they have helped me so much in these past 10 months but more on that later) and three of the four meetings have new secretary's we are still searching for one of the meetings. I am amazed because all three of the new secretary's have less than one year in the Program but they are all committed to giving back to such a fabulous organization. It is a true testament that the Program does work if you work it and we have so many members who really do work it.

From day one of entering Gamblers Anonymous I felt blessed to be in the room and nothing has changed ten months later. I will actually miss going to the First Tuesday of the month meeting because there are some very strong members involved in the Program and I will miss their fellowship. I know I will be back in one capacity or another because this Program has truly saved my life. I know this year will be full of ups and downs but as long as I continue doing the right things I will be able to handle anything. The right things are working the Program which includes working the Steps and cherishing my family each and every day.

I never thought of myself as a compulsive gambler until ten months ago and I am so happy to have said those words and find the rooms of Gamblers Anonymous. Without the fellowship I know I would have been in a world of hurt and who knows if I would have made it this far; most likely I would not have made it this far.

On Sunday I will finally meet Arnie Wexler who is a very well known expert in the field of compulsive gambling. Mr. Wexler is coming into San Diego to give a presentation to the National Council of State Legislators from Gaming States on the perils of compulsive gambling. Hopefully, Mr. Wexler will have some time on Sunday evening to attend our Gamblers Anonymous meeting in my home town. I am looking forward to meeting Mr. Wexler because he has been so helpful in my recovery. I do know Mr. Wexler will be attending the Thursday evening meeting in San Diego because he being a 30 plus year member of GA knows the power of the Program first hand. I have been truly blessed in these past ten months to meet some very great people and one of the best decisions I ever made was to join Gamblers Anonymous.

No comments: