Friday, January 06, 2006

Crazy Weather

Today it was 88 degrees where I live in Southern California and it really did feel warm. We here in this part of Southern California do not really have winter but normally the high temperature this time of the year is in the 60's so when it gets in the high 80's in early January it is not normal. In fact because it was 88 degrees this afternoon when the sun went down and the temperature dropped 36 degrees it felt cold. This afternoon it was hot and this evening it was cold, crazy weather but I will take it any day over snow, cold, rain and all the other winter weather most parts of the world seem to experience. I remember traveling to Miami in early January 12 years ago and wondering how people could deal with 80 degree weather this time of year, now I know and I really like it!!!

There are so many good things about living in this part of the country and the weather is certainly one of them. Whatever happens in the coming months or years I do know I have had the most wonderful experiences and I look forward to many more.

Today as I worked on some appraisal files for my friend I thought about another irony in my life. I was attending the University of Southern California in 1983 and I had an internship with real estate developer. The real estate developer sent me to the San Gabriel Valley to look at a house and when I returned he asked me how much I thought the house was worth. Me being new to Southern California and only being 18 years old and not really knowing how much things were worth took a guess. My guess was developed from the sales of the neighboring houses and I remember telling my boss at the time; "I would say the house is worth $125,000 but there would be no way I would pay that much money for a house." That was 23 years ago and the same house today is worth a great deal more than $125,000 and I can only dream of paying $125,000 for a house!!

What I didn't realize at the time 23 years ago that I would be sitting in my house doing an appraisal based on my "guessing" concepts. I had the right idea and yes, there is more to appraising a house then just looking at the neighboring houses but it is a good start. I believe there is a lesson in any and every experience I have had. I know I ignored some of the big ones and it has led me to where I am today but life is certainly not over and as long as I keep doing the successful traits I have instilled in myself these past ten months everything will continue to get better.

The children go back to school on Tuesday from their winter break and I am so blessed to share this time with them. I have a wonderful family and yes, I have altered the course of their lives by my compulsive gambling and things will start to "heat" up in the coming weeks. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen this does not mean I will role over and die this means there are certain things I cannot control. It does mean there are things I can control and that is to be with my family, continue in my recovery and life the live I am capable of living. I found myself ten months ago and I am thankful to regain my life back because it truly saved me from myself.

No comments: