Sunday, May 28, 2006

Awesome Days

Last month when I was scheduled for my sentencing I had a reporter ask me if I was willing to be followed and chronicled for the few days leading up to the sentencing date. This reporter thought it would be interesting to their readers what someone would be doing a few days before getting sentenced to prison. My first reaction to the reporter was; you are going to be really bored because nothing interesting is going to happen. These few days won't be any different than the year and few months that have preceded it. The reporter still wanted to do the story because they thought my "routine" or "normalness" would be very interesting. I respectively declined because we were having family in for the sentencing last month and I thought this to be a little intrusive upon them.

This time no family is coming in for the sentencing for a number of reasons; one being they put so much into the last visit and came away very frustrated they didn't want to put themselves in this position again. A few other factors are money and distance; all of my and my wife's relatives live an airplane ride away and the logistics are very tough on them. So this time it will only be my and my wife's extended family attending the sentencing which has served us very well in this past year.

Getting back to the reporter that asked me if they could follow me around before the sentencing last month; no, they have not asked to do the same thing this month probably for the same reasons my family is not coming for the visit; the sentencing maybe another false alarm. My attorney is doing everything in his power to ensure the sentencing does go off on Wednesday and hopes to have other matter wrapped on Tuesday so we can just focus on the sentencing and me moving forward into the next phase of my life.

These past few days heck the last one year and three months leading up to the sentencing day have been awesome days and they have been filled with blessings. Take today for instance; I was able to play with my son all afternoon while my wife and daughter were out doing "girl stuff". My son and I had a great time playing in the pool and playing games. He is a great kid and when I look into his big beautiful blue eyes I just melt knowing I will miss the next few years of his life. However; I do know what I have now is incredible and I am enjoying each and everyday because I will not get to share this type of quality time with my son for some time to come. It was a great afternoon.

This evening our very dear friends were kind enough to invite our children over for a sleep-over so my wife and I could have a "date night". We are so blessed to have such kind, generous and wonderful people in our lives and I am more and more amazed at how great some people can be and these two friends have been nothing but outstanding.

Our "date night" was very tame we went to a local Mexican restaurant for dinner and came home to watch a movie on DVD. I just wanted to share some quality time with my beautiful wife because things will be changing ever so rapidly this week. We won't have these types of nights for a very long time and I enjoyed this evening immensely. Even though it was a very low key evening we had a great time because we shared the evening Sharing these experiences with my wife mean the world to me because in the past I took all of this for granted. Now I know all of this can be taken away from at a moments notice. I love my wife dearly and know no matter what happens no one can take this love away from me.

No comments: