Friday, May 05, 2006

Step Ten

Yes, there was another story today about a celebrity with a compulsive gambling addiction. This celebrity can be categorized as an oldie but a goodie. I do remember the group but they were from a prior generation and I know my mom and dad knows this group very well. The group was Jay Black and the Americans. The lead singer Jay Black has stated his compulsive gambling addiction has caused so much grief in his life and all of his earnings. In the story Mr. Black states he tried Gamblers Anonymous but apparently he wasn't ready to surrender to his addiction and things got progressively worse.

The Program of GA states that compulsive gambling is a progressive illness which never gets better only worse the only way for a compulsive gambler to get better is to stop the behavior and adhere to the 12 steps of Recovery Principles each and every day. I know this Program works for me and unfortunately Mr. Black wasn't ready to accept help when he first attended the GA Program. Apparently he has his compulsive gambler addiction under arrest and although the article doesn't state how he arrested the illness the fact that it is under arrest is a step in the right the direction.

In the past three days there were three stories about three different "celebrities" and their compulsive gambling addiction. I do see a pattern here but unfortunately in all of the stories there was no indication of how someone with a compulsive gambling addiction can get help. Hopefully, there will be a celebrity in the coming days who is in recovery from their compulsive gambling addiction and the story will chronicle how they received help for their addiction. There are so many celebrities who sing the praises of Alcoholics Anonymous yet I haven't seen one single story about any celebrity in GA.

Yes, I know the Programs are anonymous and that is one of the sacred principles which I certainly respect; however; there needs to be more awareness on how people can turn their lives around from this insidious addiction. There are so many people who are out their right now and in fact there is another group of people who are in their homes gambling without the thought of the consequences. I pray for everyone of them that they will find some type of help with their addiction.

On to Step Ten of the Gamblers Anonymous Recovery Program; "Continued to take personal inventory and when we (I) were wrong promptly admitted it." This is one of the maintenance steps of the Program and needs to be performed daily. Each evening I sit down and reflect on the day and I ask myself; "Am I accomplishing the things which I could not do before?" Also; I take an inventory of myself and ensure I am being honest, open-minded and willing to do the right things. I am not looking for perfection because perfection is unrealistic. I know I will make many mistakes in my new life but I must admit these mistakes as they arise. I can't push these mistakes under the rug only for them to manifest themselves into one huge ugly mess. I must deal with each mistake as I make them.

In the past I was willing to admit I was wrong but I was not prompt in my admittance. I let these mistakes build and build which led into an unmanageable mess. Now I look at myself each and every day to ensure I am taking positive steps. These positive steps include helping others which in turn helps my growth. I must be diligent in this Step because it is one of the keys to my recovery. As long as I continue taking personal inventory honestly and when I make a mistake I promptly admitted it my life continues to get better and better each and every day.

I know in this step the Program states that no major changes should take place in the first two years of abstinence. Unfortunately due to my situation major changes have taken place in the first two days of abstinence. However; as I have progressed through the past 14 months my thoughts are clearer and I know success is achieved one day at time. Like the previous nine steps which are never fully completed because they like this step need to be worked on each and every day. The Steps are one of the keys to my successful recovery and must be instilled in my every day life. Step Ten is a daily ritual which allows me to stay focused and diligent in my recovery.

Finally in admitting I am wrong promptly it allows me to make amends on the spot. Admitting I am wrong promptly and then making amends relieves me of the negative baggage. This negative baggage is contrary to my recovery program because there were some times in the past where I allowed myself to wallow in self-pity and woe is me but now I know I do not have to live this way. Living with honesty and living one day at time gives me hope and optimism. This optimism makes my life so much better today than it has ever been. I am grateful to continue to take my personal inventory and when I make a mistake (which still happens a great deal!) I PROMPTLY admit it.

No comments: