Thursday, May 04, 2006

Survivor Thursday

My children have loved the Reality television show "Survivor" for what seems like forever. Actually it really is forever to them because they have been watching the show for all their lives. My daughter (who is 8 years old) has loved the show since she was able to comprehend what was going on and naturally her little brother wants to emulate what big sister does so he loves the show as well. In my "bonus" time with my wife out with friends I sat on the couch with my arms wrapped around my daughter and son as we watched their favorite television show "Survivor". These are little moments in life I have taken for granted because I thought they would always be there; however; I was so wrong on so many levels.

I was wrong to take these moments for granted because my children will not stay children forever. Also, I was wrong because I thought I would always be there for my children. I know come the end of this month I will miss a few years of these "Survivor Thursdays" but I do know I have wonderful memories that will last me a lifetime.

As we watched the show together; my daughter sat on my right and my son on my left. As the program went on each one snuggled a little closer. How can life get any better than this? I don't believe it can because it was all about love and togetherness. Although we may not be together for a period of time I have the power of knowing their love will always be with me no matter where I am. Life is wonderful and I appreciate every day because they are truly gifts.

Snell (Prosecutor--Assistant District Attorney Riverside County California) said he rarely sees a defendant who has been arrested with a lethal amount of drugs in his or her system get out on bail and go into rehab and not commit another drug offense; Filippini's attorney will ask the judge to sentence her to probation. Snell, the prosecutor, agrees that she is taking the right steps to avoid a prison sentence. This passage was taken from a local story regarding a kindergarten teacher who was arrested for being under the influence of cocaine while teaching. Here we have this unfortunate woman who appears to be addicted to drugs and she endangered her students with this addiction. We have a prosecutor from the same office I am being prosecuted in saying this woman is taking all the right steps to get her life in order and to avoid prison. I commend this prosecutor for these comments because they are certainly uncharacteristic of the job description.

I do wonder why the double standard in these cases? As I reported yesterday a Judge in a nearby county stated "drugs made the person do the horrible acts", today we have a prosecutor commending a defendant who is trying to take responsibility for her actions and getting help. Is it the drug addiction? Do we as a society have more empathy for a drug or alcohol addiction as opposed to a gambling addiction? I don't have the empirical data to support any answer but from what I have read over the past 14 months it certainly seems there is.

What is going to happen in five to ten years when the kids who are playing poker now realize they can't stop playing but have run out of money. Now (theoretically) they start committing crimes because of the compulsive gambling addiction and the prosecutors and judges will just look at the criminal behavior and these kids will be judged on this not the compulsive gambling addiction. Does this make sense?

Yet, when someone commits a crime on drugs or alcohol the state (especially the state of California) has special programs to help rehabilitate these people but again no, discernible gambling treatment. It seems to me to be a double standard. If we as a society state a crime is a crime no matter what precipitated it then we should maintain that standard. However; there are so many mixed message which state if you mess up while intoxicated or high then it is somewhat okay because we as a society will find a treatment program which will hopefully get your life back together. I believe this is a fascinating issue and will research more in the coming weeks.

I can't help but think about yesterday's speaker at the Gamblers Anonymous speaker meeting. This speaker has really touched my soul and today I was having a conversation with my wife about the addiction of compulsive gambling. She had her regular Gam-Anon (those who have been affected by the compulsive gambler) meeting last night and one member was having a hard time understanding the fact that compulsive gambling is a disease. Well the American Psychiatric Association has classified compulsive gambling as a mental disorder and fits into a defined category as a mental illness or better defined as a disease. The old question that was asked by this member of Gam-Anon; "why can't they just stop?"

This is a great question and it really is very difficult to answer; however; I can only speak for my own experience and also draw upon the wonderful speaker from yesterday; and state I couldn't stop until I inflicted enough damage on myself and my family. This is so sad it has to happen like this and it really doesn't because there are some tremendous programs available to the compulsive gambler and I found one the Gamblers Anonymous Program. This Program has taught me I do have a choice; to gamble and kill myself or to NOT gamble and live. Fairly simple answer to that question; LIVE!!! I can live now because I don't have to lie, cheat or steal and now I can be HONEST each and every day. Like I stated earlier it is a GREAT life and I love each and every day I live this type of life.

No comments: