Saturday, August 19, 2006

Communication Blackout

Today is Saturday and even though it is a weekend it is very much like any other day. The unfortunate part of this journey is I cannot receive any visits. I was fortunate to receive a visitor each visiting day at he county jail but visits here are not allowed. Additionally, telephone calls are not allowed and from what I hear, I will not be receiving mail for another 3-4 weeks. It really feels like a communication blackout. I wonder how my family and friends are doing?

I suspect I will be receiving some mail sooner as opposed to later and I will catch-up on the latest news. I haven’t received one piece of mail in the last 2 weeks because the last 2 days I was in the county jail, my mail must have been held up. I know of two letters that have been sent during this time which I did not receive so if anyone has sent me a letter and I have not responded, I apologize. These letters and telephone calls to my wife kept me going while I was in the county jail. Now I need to find a different outlet to pass the time.

Unfortunately, there are only a few things to do such as reading. I finished A PERFECT STORM by Sebastian Junger. The book was very different from the movie. Other things I can do is write which really keeps me going. I find myself keeping up with my journal on a nightly basis much as I did when I was on the outside (aka Streets). I do most of my writing in the evening usually around 9:00 pm. Before I start writing, I silently say good-night and I love you to my wife and children. I hope they feel my message even though they are 3000 miles away. I do like the fact that they are 3 hours ahead because their day seems faster than mine. This may not make any sense but knowing their day is faster, I feel I can be back with them even quicker. This is a mental trick and every little thing counts.

Many of the inmates play different games of cards which involve gambling. For obvious reasons, I stay far away from these games. They play for lunches, soups, and many other items. I am content to stay on my bunk and read or write. I have been asked to play and I respectfully decline. There are inmates who play chess and checkers and I have been asked to play as well. I would rather to keep to myself and I am always polite and respectful.

I have been fortunate to be placed where other inmates look out for me. They are very understanding of my situation and are giving me food. I have been given advice of what to do and what not to do. I pray to God I never have to do some of the “to-do’s” but at least I know what to expect. My bunkmate told me he is willing to listen if I needed to talk. This was said with all sincerity and he told me “I was good people”. An ironic flashback – the last time I was told this same thing was by a vice-president of the bank that turned me in long before my misdeeds were discovered. I thanked my Bunkie and meant it. As long as I am here, that is good situation.

My “new friends” have also given me paper and envelopes without me even asking. At this center, there is a store where I can buy various items, however, I won’t be eligible for this for another 2-3 weeks. Also, with all things considered, I should be here between 8-10 weeks so if I can get to the store once I should be okay.

It was very interesting this morning because it appears that Saturday is moving day. Transfers are made to other prisons (aka mainline). Today there are about 20 prisoners who are going to be transferred to the mainline. They were packing their belongings into a paper shopping bag (aka trash-packing). Anything other than their belongings gets thrown into the trash. This is much more organized than the transfer from the county jail. Here the inmates can take toiletries to the mainline along with all their personal mail. Someday – in the not too distant future – I too will be “trash-packing” and that will mean one step closer to being back with my family.

No comments: