Monday, August 14, 2006

It Is What It Is

As I woke up this morning again with the sunlight coming through the little window in my cell and as I gazed across the dayroom at the “WARNING, NO WARNING SHOTS” sign, I thought everything is going to be okay. I did my 500 push-ups and sit-ups before breakfast and read a little more of “Side by Side”. I went down for breakfast and was feeling very good. After breakfast I read a little more than it was time to go outside in the “yard”.

The “yard” is a field surrounded by a walking/running track. “Yard” time provides us inmates with some much needed outdoor recreation. The temperature in this part of California is consistently in the middle to upper 90’s, so running is discouraged. However, I was looking forward to actually walk around outside for the hour and a half. Unfortunately, I was not eligible for “yard” time because my identification card had not been prepared. All inmates must present an identification card to enter the “yard”, no exception. I was confined to my cell but this was okay because I was in a good mood and I could see some consistency coming back into my days. I settled down to read more of the book then suddenly my cell door opened. The voice echoed over the loudspeaker; “Del Vacchio pack up your things you are being transferred to C-Yard.” Here we go again! Here come the worry right when I thought everything was going to be okay, the uncertainty pops back in.

I gathered up my belongings, placed them in my pillow case, said goodbye and good luck to my cellmate and I was on my way. The Correction Officer gave me my identification card along with an individual photo of myself as I left the B-Yard. I passed the inmates from my cell block who were in the yard and I assured the fellow inmate who I borrowed the book “Side by Side” (I only had a few more pages to go, yet another unfinished novel, oh well) that I left in my cell with my cellmate. I walked past the 30 foot high guard tower and met up with another Correction Officer who gave me directions to my new housing assignment.

As soon as I entered the C-Yard I noticed a difference from where I had just came. The building was of the same concrete and metal design but appears much smaller. Instead of a 60 foot square the building is probably a 45 foot square. Prior to walking into the building I overheard an inmate who was heading to the same C-Yard ask another inmate if he knew anything about C-Yard and his reply “yes, there are no cells just bunks.” When I heard this I became anxious. I am not sure why I became anxious because by now I would hope to be used to all of the movement and uncertainty. I still have to work on letting it go before I become a complete basket case. Yes, again these things are completely out of my control and I need to roll with it. I walked into the smaller building at C-Yard and immediately noticed all the bunks lined up two rows deep on the bottom and top levels. I researched the California Prison Systems fairly well prior to my arrival and I knew the prison system was over crowded, in fact the system is built for 100,000 inmates and currently there are approximately 170,000 inmates. As I looked around at 144 beds I realized how crowded the system really is.
Up until this time I noticed at least 100 inmates were processed on Friday when I came in and I noticed that some of the holding cells had 15-20 inmates which should normally hold 5 inmates. As soon as I walked into this building it was immediately clear to me how overcrowded the prison system has become.

Of course over the past day, I tried to mark the pluses and minuses between the two buildings. In the previous building we were confined to our cells just about all day, here we are able to walk around just about all day. In the previous building there was privacy in the cells and here there’s absolutely no privacy. In the previous building we were allowed to take showers every other day, here we can take showers everyday. In the previous building there appeared to be no politics (racism) and here there appears to be some, not very much but some. I was given the do’s and don’ts tour and I take these directions very seriously. These directions are essential to my survival and for me to “stay safe”.

It will be yet another adjustment period and I am sure once I get fully adjusted to this new building, I will be moved once again. The one constant in this journey has been inconsistency. I know I have to adjust to whatever situation I am encountered with and there have been a few of them over these past few days. That great saying “it is what it is” takes precedence. I created this mess and I have to continue to make the very best of the situation. I am certainly trying my best.

This new building is a very similar set-up to the first area I was placed in at the County Jail. I was placed there when I first arrived and thankfully I am not on a “boat” in this new building. Additionally, here in the State Prison there is a guard dedicated to this room not like in the County where the guard had to watch over four rooms which lead to things being missed. This is not to say things won’t get missed here but the Correction Officer’s presence is very welcome in my book.

A few tidbits about my new residency; the other inmates near my bunk seem very cool they even played a joke on me as I unpacked my belongings. They told me my bunkmate was gay. I told them that was okay as long as we all mind our own business. After looking at my bunkmate, I really couldn’t believe he was gay (I won’t go into it right now). After about an hour one of the other guys told me he was not gay (not that there would be anything wrong with it) they just wanted to see my reaction. I guess I passed the test! The fellow inmates I sat next to at dinner were ecstatic to hear I was a vegetarian. They told me to keep this our little secret. They were happy to trade their vegetables and salad for my hamburger patty. All in all this new residence appears to have more personality than the previous one. This is certainly a good thing because instead of having to talk with only one inmate as was the case in the previous building, I can talk with 143 inmates if I choose.

As I mentioned before; I had somewhat of an idea of what to expect when I got to State Prison but all those expectations have been obliterated. What I thought I knew I didn’t know. Also, it seems anytime I thought something would happen it either didn’t or I was completely wrong about the situation. I don’t know if it is possible, but I must expect the unexpected.

No comments: