Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Televison Programming

The evenings are getting noisier than they were a week ago. I am not sure why this is happening but when all the lights go off at midnight, the talking and laughing doesn’t subside for another hour or two. Try as I may to turn things off in my head I still have difficulty falling asleep.

We were on bunk status up until 1:00 pm this afternoon. This is another name for lockdown which means we were not allowed to move from our bunks except to go the bathroom. Apparently, there was an incident from a nearby dormitory because all the inmates from the building were outside in their boxers from 8:30 am – 11:00 am.

In addition to the nights being noisier than ever, my bunkmate told me a story which took me by surprise, to say the least which would make a great Quentin Tarantino movie. After he told me his story, I counted my blessings regarding my normal outside life.

When I was giving the “Odds and Ends” on Sunday, I forgot to mention how the programs are scheduled during the day. I mentioned the movies that are shown on the prison channel but the TV lineup is culturally sensitive. There are three inmate representatives – one for the Caucasians, one for the Hispanics, and one for the African- Americans. These three representatives go over the schedule on a weekly basis so there aren’t any disagreements. Also, the channel selection is very limited since there isn’t any ESPN or CNN to choose from. The football games appear to cross all race lines more so than baseball or basketball. The correction officer will withhold these games as a form of punishment to the inmates.

I finally received my first piece of mail and it came from a very unlikely source. I wrote about this person a few weeks ago. I was impressed with this letter just as I was with the first one. It may well be voyeurism but there were many good questions in the letter. Now I just need to get some more paper so I can write back. I was pleasantly surprised to receive this piece of mail and hopefully more will follow.

I did finish reading HARRY POTTER-ORDER OF THE PHOENIX earlier today and I can’t wait to see the movie. Probably by the time I get out it will be on DVD, but I am sure my wife will add it to the children’s Harry Potter collection.

No comments: