Sunday, August 20, 2006

Odds and Ends

First of all, I must apologize if my writing seems a bit off or redundant. It seems a little more difficult to write in this dormitory because there are many distractions and it is very noisy. This may seem like an excuse because it is, but if anyone has noticed any inconsistencies in my writings over the course of last month this could be a reason.

Each inmate is given a counselor (I have not yet met mine, but I should meet this person in three or four more weeks) who helps determine where the inmate will be place at the next stop. Also, each inmate who is eligible for half-time (yes, I am eligible) is given a packet of materials to work on while he is in the processing center.

My typical day begins at 6:30 am with 500 push ups and situps before breakfast. I trade out my eggs and sausage for cereal or oatmeal. We receive a sack lunch to bring back to our bunks. Afterward, I go back to my bunk, brush my teeth, and read. I was very fortunate because my Bunkie had a copy of Harry potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I read about 300 pages of this book today and I must say today went very fast. Unfortunately, I have not read the first four books, but I have seen all the movies. I understand the story line and the characters but I can see all the books being better than the movies. Who would have thought I would be reading a Harry Potter book in a place like this? I guess prison isn’t what it used to be. Thank God for that.

Around 11:30 am, I do another 500 push-ups and then take a shower. I have mentioned before that I am not eligible to go the store for another few weeks which means I have no shampoo. However, there is a community box of toiletries available for all three races. I don’t have a comb and I am hesitant to borrow one. Most of the white inmates have shaved heads and have little use for a comb. Today is the first day that I have combed my hair in the past 10 days because Sundays are haircut days for the whites. I was able to borrow the barber’s comb which was soaking in an antiseptic solution. Otherwise, I just push my hair back with my fingers. I did get a trim around my ears and the back of my neck. As Most of you I got my haircut very short the day before my sentencing but compared to most other inmates my hair is long. Somewhere over the next two years I may just have someone shave it all off. No, not a bald look but a crew cut and hopefully by the time I get out it will all grow back. However, I am just not ready to part with my hair.

After taking a shower, I go back to my bunk and read some more until around 1:30 pm. At this time I prepare my lunch from the “sack”. Lately, it appears that everyone around me gives me their apple. This morning, after we were given our sack lunch, I had three apples waiting for me on my bunk. How does the old saying go? “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”. I wonder what eating four apples a day can do for you? In my sack lunch today was a bad of corn chips which I gave to my Bunkie. When I first saw the fritos, I thought of 8-year-old daughter. Fritos are her absolute favorite snack food. I saw the package and a smile came to my face instantly. She’s a little itty bitty thing, but if my wife or I gave her a large bag of the corn chips, she would eat the entire bag.
Dinner is usually served between 6:15 – 6:45. I always trade out my meal for more salad and vegetables that are served plain. I have to eat more salad here because I am having digestive problems. For fear of giving out too much info, I just say, ‘I sure hope this will pass.”

The lights go out at 11:00 pm, but we are allowed out in the dayroom to watch TV or play games. I usually turn in around 11:00 pm and think about all the good things in my life. This helps to block out all the noise and distractions. It also puts me in a good frame of mind prior to falling asleep. I would like to report that I sleep through the night but it would be a fib. I have always been a light sleeper and I don’t expect this to change over night. I do get up a few times during the night but I will say the nights are quieter here with everyone out in the open than when I was confined to a cell. There are no yells during the evening which makes it a little more tolerable.

Over the course of the day, I do talk to a few of the inmates. I do need to take a break from reading and writing and there is always a conversation to be found. The more I talk to the inmates the more I realize how fortunate I am. Many of these inmates are facing longer sentences and have been here before. They have lost families, friends, material belongings but they all seem to have a good attitude. They have more acceptance about their particular lot than I have and I learn something each day. I do know I am a blessed person with all the wonderful people in my life and again I thank everyone for all their thoughts and prayers. I can feel this positive energy each and everyday.

No comments: