Monday, August 28, 2006

Year and a Half Moving Day

Today marks one year and six months since my last bet. It really doesn’t seem like a long time which is why I hope and pray the next 18 months go just as fast. It is sort of ironic because I am in a place (state prison) where there is more gambling right in front of my face than there has been in the last year and a half.

One of the principles of the GA program states; don’t associate with acquaintances who gamble and don’t go in or near gambling establishments. I have been faithful to these two principles. However, there is no way I can leave this place until my term if fulfilled which is why I don’t go near the tables where all of the gambling takes place nor do I associate with anyone who gambles. Anytime I am asked to play a game or to play cards or to play cards I respectively decline. I keep to my bunk so I can read and write. I know how much damage gambling has caused in my life and I don’t want to go back to the insanity. It may sound silly to decline a “harmless” card game where the stakes are for 20 cent soups, but I take my recovery very seriously and in my mind there is no such thing as a “harmless” wager. The GA program has saved my life and even though I can no longer (temporarily) attend meetings, I still practice what I have learned.

February 28th, 2005 – my head was spinning and I placed two $5,000 bets because if I hadn’t, my last wager date would be unknown. At this time, my head was swirling for a number of reasons and even though the heat was on me, I was still trying to figure out a way to continue my fantasy life of compulsive gambling. I really thought I could explain my way out of the situation and continue doing the lying, cheating, and stealing. It wasn’t until a few days later when I wasn’t to talk my way out of the situation did I FINALLY realize I needed help with my problem. I thank God each and every day for the GA program because now I understand I have a choice. The choice is to gamble and end my life or to not gamble and live my life with a positive purpose.

For the last 18 months I have chosen to live my life with a positive purpose and I am able to walk with my head held high. Over the past 20 plus years, I ran away and I ran towards my gambling problem. I never faced up to it until a year and a half ago and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I look forward to a lifetime of “18 months from my last wager” meaning I look forward to a life-time of living gambling-free with a positive purpose!


Just when I thought I was settling into a routine because today marked two weeks of being in the same dormitory, I was wrong in thinking that. I got up at 6:00 am, did everything that I normally do, just as I did for the past 14 days. It was “yard time” after breakfast and I was getting into a good pace walking very fast but not running because it is prohibited, I heard a voice say, “Del Vacchey –173-up report for a bunk move.” I was a little upset because my walk workout was interrupted. I still had another 30 minutes of “yard time”. I really didn’t register the words – “bunk move” until I saw one of my bunk neighbors who told me I was probably being moved to another dormitory. He was right. As I went into the dorm, the Corrections Officer told me to “pack my shit” because I was being transferred to the A-Yard. For some reason, when I was told I was being transferred, I was neither upset nor apprehensive; it was something I was subconsciously thinking. I have stated this before that the only consistent variable in this ordeal has been change. I guess I was more mentally prepared than I actually thought.

I packed my “shit” into my pillowcase, checked the drawer twice to ensure that I had all my letters. These are the most important items I have because these letters get me through each and everyday. Also, the wonderful card my daughter sent me for my birthday brings tears of happiness each time I open it. I said my good-byes to my bunk neighbors. I will miss these guys and one had mentioned as I was leaving, “Who are we going to give our apples to now?” I laughed and grabbed my belongings headed to the A-Yard.

About ten days ago, I was sitting while eating my lunch when one of my bunk-neighbors and a fellow inmate were having a conversation about A-Yard. The inmate went on and on about what a great program A-Yard has. (program is the key word in prison and hopefully somewhere down the line, I will explain further) This inmate was putting in a request for a transfer because this gym is for inmates over the age of 35 and they get to eat off the main-line chow hall.

I now need to give some background on North Kern State Prison. Up until two years this prison was only a reception center where inmates are received, evaluated, and transferred. Two years ago there was an addition built to house longer-term prisoners which is known as a mainline prison. At the reception center the inmates wear orange and at the mainline, the inmates wear blue shirts and blue jeans. The A-Yard is located within the mainline prison and because of the overcrowding, the reception center had to take over the gym and a few other buildings.

The gym is the only dormitory which houses inmates over 35 who have no write-ups. This is allegedly the best housing unit within both facilities because there have not been any problems since it was opened in 2004. Interesting side-bar - when the inmate was talking about A-Yard 10 days ago, I thought to myself that I should put in a request for transfer but I thought further and decided this was against my “fly under the radar” approach so I didn’t.

While I was walking over with 20 other inmates who were also being transferred to other dorms, I instantly noticed everyone (with the exception of one) appeared to be older than 35. I have heard so many rumors over the past month and a half, I tend to be a bit more skeptical. I thought this to be a good sign. The CO called out 5 names out of the 20 and told us we were going to the A-Yard.

We then walked toward the gym and met up with another CO. He started to talk with us about the history and what is expected of the inmates who reside in the gym. As soon as he started to speak, I noticed something very different from the other CO’s. He was actually talking TO us instead of AT us. There is a very big distinction and I really enjoy being talked to as opposed to being talked at.

The CO went through his speech about this dormitory and actually asked if anyone has any questions. A few of the inmates did and he answered them as if it were a discussion. I was very impressed because this CO was not sarcastic or flippant in any manner. For the first time in 49 days, I felt treated as an adult. Dare I say it? Maybe things are getting better? At one time, this was a gymnasium, but whatever exercise or sporting equipment has long since been removed and replaced with 70 bunk beds. I looked around and saw that everyone was definitely over 35. The dorm is no bigger than a junior high school gym. Please picture putting 70 beds, a guard podium, 6 stainless steel tables with stools, 6 benches to view the 27 in TV, gym showers and open toilets. This reminds me of the Astrodome (on a much smaller scale) when Hurricane Katrina hit last year.

Of course, I still have the top bunk because it does go by seniority and I haven’t been in any one place long enough to get that. My new “Bunkie” seems okay as do most of the people here. It seems that everyone just wants to do their time and get home without any problems. Even though there are 140 inmates, it is much quieter than my previous dorm because there aren’t any youngsters. We do get to go next door to the main-line chow hall for breakfast and dinner. The food is the same menu as the reception center but it is right off the line which means the food is HOT as opposed to luke warm.

This is also a working dorm meaning we are encouraged to work in the kitchens because it is right next door. I asked my Bunkie about this and he told me he starts tomorrow morning on the early shift from 4:30 am – 9:30 am. He told me he would give my name to the supervisor to try to get me in. Hopefully, he can which will give me something to do for 5 days a week. I also spoke with some other inmates about working and they told me the kitchen is always looking for some help on the early shift. So much for my waiting 30 days and hopefully within the next few days, I will have a job.

My address is:
Paul Del Vacchio #F38991
A Gym 69-Low

North Kern State Prison
PO Box 5000
Delano, California
93216-5000

No comments: