Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Pillow and Toothbrush

Who knew a pillow and toothbrush would brighten up my day! Two items which I have certainly taken for granted in my 41 years of existence made my day today. I have been without a pillow since my sentencing date on July 12th. I stayed 31 days in the county jail where pillows are non-existent. I would prop my head up with the wool blanket underneath my flimsy mattress pad. I did not dare lie on this blanket because the wool was very course and itchy. I had no choice but to make do with what I had.

I was transferred here to the reception center on august 10th and upon my arrival I was given an assortment of clothing, towels, sheets, blanket, toothbrush and fluoride powder. One of the peculiar items I was given was a pillowcase. I thought maybe there was a pillow waiting for me once I got to my bunk. This was not the case and the only function of the pillowcase is that of a satchel when I have moved from one dormitory to another. I was able to make a makeshift pillow with the pillowcase. I folded the blanket (this time it was a cotton blanket) placed it into the pillowcase and I had an impromptu pillow. Not necessarily a pillow I have ever used before; however; in a place like this every little bit counts. I did notice on a few bunks in my previous dormitory and this dormitory what appeared to look like a real pillow. In fact one of my previous bunk neighbors did have a real pillow. I inquired as to how to get a pillow and was told I needed someone (of the same race as me) bequeath the pillow upon their departure. The way I have been shuffled around I didn’t believe I had a chance to ever get a pillow, however; I was talking to a fellow inmate (who by the way also doesn’t look like he belongs here, more on him later) who told me he finally got a pillow today. I told him he was very fortunate because I did not have one. His bunk neighbor overheard us talking (this is very common because the bunks are three feet apart) and asked me if I wanted a pillow. Of course I absolutely said “yes”. He then led me to a bunk (a “white” bunk) which had been vacated today and low and behold there was a pillow resting on the bunk. We asked the lower bunkmate (this was still occupied and thusly makes decisions on any property left by the departed to bunk mate) if it were acceptable if I could have the pillow. Fortunately he said yes, without any hesitation. I gladly took the pillow back to my bunk and put my pillow case on it. I now have a pillow. How pitiful my life has become if I a now elated by a stinking pillow!

Here is a little history on pillows in prison especially here at the Reception Center. According to legend (God knows there is a great deal of “legend” floating around this place!) Pillows were once a standard inmate item upon arrival a few years ago. These pillows were used as weapons at one point so they were no longer part of the standard arrival inventory. However; the existing pillows were not actively taken out of service. This means there are still many pillows being utilized by inmates. I don’t know when the prison stopped supplying pillows and by the look of my pillow it appears to be very old, which is why I have the pillow wrapped in two pillowcases and I did not want to inspect the pillow any further.
I was afraid what I might find but I hope I am “protected” from any bacteria or other nasty items. I did spray it with industrial strength cleaner and let it air out. I guess I am taking m chances but it beats not having a pillow.

Another of the positives of being in the "old man gym” is the cleaning products are left out during the day for use by anyone. Whereas in my previous dormitory the cleaning products were kept under lock and key in the C/O’s office only to be brought out twice a day during cleaning sessions. The C/O’s certainly do treat us differently here and it is a much better atmosphere.

The other small item which I have always taken for granted is a toothbrush. I have been fortunate over the past five years I have used an electronic toothbrush along with dental floss and Listerine. The dental floss and Listerine are out of the question as is the electronic toothbrush. I was given a four inch toothbrush when I was received into the Reception Center almost 3 weeks ago. This four inch toothbrush is how can I say this nicely, not of the best quality. I think it sells for 12 cents in the Canteen (which is where we inmates go once a month to buy special items) so it really is crap! I believe the bristles on my toothbrush started to fall off the third day of use. I am not sure when I will get to the Canteen so I was pleasantly surprised when new toothbrushes were handed out this afternoon.

Two surprises in one day, how much better can it get, (wink, wink, nod, nod). It is hard to imagine that tomorrow would have marked the five year anniversary of when my family moved into the house in Murrieta. Now here I am five years later getting excited over a toothbrush and a pillow, while my wife and children are 3,000 miles away starting a new chapter in their lives. My how so much has changed in a few short years; however; I do know that all of these changes have occurred for a reason. One big reason is I am no longer lying, cheating, and stealing. My life has absolutely changed, but this change is for the best.

No comments: