Saturday, May 14, 2005

Soccer

Watching my daughter play soccer on a balmy Southern California Saturday morning is one of life's simple pleasures and not to be taken for granted. She is 7 years old and smaller than most of the other players but she really seems to enjoy herself. This was her last game of the season because next week we will be in New Jersey for my brother-in-law's wedding. Lauren (my daughter) is not the most aggressive soccer player. If she had the aggressiveness she uses toward her younger brother and applied it to the soccer field she would be a superstar!! Like I said she is smaller than most of the other players and rather timid but she has grown so much since her first game 10 weeks ago. She has applied the coaches principles and made great improvements. My wife is very comical during the game because she is always (how shall I say this?) encouraging or rather pulling Lauren along. Monica (my wife) is constantly shouting instructions to Lauren and this is not a negative she wants to see Lauren be more aggressive and it works and Lauren does not seem to mind. In fact most of the parents are really encouraging their respective child along in a positive manner. There really aren't any "intense" parents. Maybe the fact that they are 6, 7, 8, years old and the competitiveness hasn't started but I suspect it will kick in soon. Unfortunately, Lauren's team lost 3-0 but no one was crying at the end of the game, the players were more interested in what snacks were given out!!! Oh the simple pleasures of a 7 year old!!

By this time next week my brother-in-law will be married. My entire family is in the wedding. It should be a very nice time. I am actually looking forward to going back for the first time since we have moved away 11 years ago. I think I want to get the "questions" out of the way or maybe I am just crazy!! Everyone has been so supportive and I want to thank them in person and I really do mean it.

No comments: