Monday, June 20, 2005

Precious

Life is so very precious and most of us take it for granted. A terrible tragedy occurs almost everyday and a life vanishes before our eyes. One of the internet self-help groups for Compulsive Gamblers that I belong to the moderator (leader) suddenly lost a loved one over the weekend. She was able to share her pain through the group and it really puts everything into its proper perspective which is there are no certainties in life and I must cherish each and every day.

Three and half months ago I took everything for granted now I cherish every moment. Life is not measured by the size of your bank account, house, car, or any other material item it is measured by one's character. I have yet to see a tombstone that read "Here lies John Doe born September 8, 1941 died May 22, 2005 with $17,876,887. 55 in his checking account". The tombstone usually says something about beloved husband, son, grandfather, wife, daughter, grandmother, etc., not survived by the 3600 square foot 5 bedroom 4 bathroom house.

I lost my sense of purpose and I am slowly regaining my true identity. I thought being a "good" husband and father entitled me to certain liberties this was just another one of my rationalizations. I took full advantage of these liberties and I was wrong. I am not entitled to anything. I want to be a good husband and good father and I want to have a sense of purpose. Through this very adverse situation in my life I am starting to realize my true sense of purpose which is to be the best person I can be and NOT take liberties because of it.

I have always struggled with the "God" issue. I always asked questions of why, how, and does this concept really make sense. Now, I am finding answers such as; why not, faith, higher power and yes, it does make sense. I think I am rambling now and probably not making much sense but hopefully I have conveyed some of my thoughts and true sense of being.

Congratulation to my niece Lisa (the wonderful softball pitcher) she graduated 8th grade and will be heading to High School in September. It seems like just yesterday, my wife, Mother and Grandmother drove 3 hours from New Jersey to Pennsylvania to greet the first great grandchild, grandchild and niece in our family. Way to go Lisa, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Here is another inspiration website please check it out; http://www.inspiringthots.net/movie/be-thankful.php

No comments: